V-TWIN REPLICA CASES

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
Randy50
Inactive member
Bikes: *

V-TWIN REPLICA CASES

Post by Randy50 »

Can anyone tell me, if they have used a set of replica pan cases or replica frame from V-TWIN?I'm considering ordering a set of cases but I'm a little skeptical of the quality.Thanks.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Randy

Do you like worms? I think you just opened a great big can!

mike
Randy50
Inactive member

Post by Randy50 »

I realize that his tanks,fenders and a host of other parts may be less than desirable.But I'm specifically looking for info on his cases and frames.I don't know,but I'm thinking his cases might be made by STD, in that case I would be comfortable using them.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

save your self about 1000.00 and buy the cases direct from STD.
this is what V-twin does, but you get to pay more for the same case....LOL
this is also true with there heads also....

mbskeam
Randy50
Inactive member

Post by Randy50 »

Thanks for the reply mbskeam.Although I do feel a little stupid, I have no idea why I never went to the STD site to confirm my suspicions.Suspicions confirmed I'll be ordering the cases.Thanks again.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

I'd buy S&S my self. Not been to happy with STD over the years. Bob
pan50head
Bikes: 1950 FL

V-TWIN REPLICA CASES

Post by pan50head »

I purchased a V-Twin replica frame for a 1950 panhead. Upon receipt, I had it measured by a frame repairer and everything was up to snuff. I have about 15,000 miles on it with no problems. Sure a lot cheaper that fixing a buggered up original frame.
VT

Post by VT »

Good news about the frame. Proof, things are getting better. V-Twin has some stuff planned they're keeping under wraps. I think the replica 3.5 gallon tanks are going to be made, and that's going to start the market.
I'd like to see a pic of the V-Twin or STD case. Did you order one with a relay mount? Most people don't, and go with an automatic distributor. Only a knuckle-dragging Neanderthal would run a timer (circuit breaker) and manual spark control. I do. You don't see many timer relay mount STD cases. I mean I'm sure people buy them, but there's none on this site yet.
Boy, I would sure like to see some STD cylinder deck details and motor number plate and some V-Twin cam cover details. But, nobody ever buys one of the relay cases, because it seems as though not many people have the original style handlebars. I do. Repop '54-up.
Pooka
Inactive member

Post by Pooka »

Check with AAOK---1533 N Milwaukee #200---Boise, IDAHO 83714---(email) orders@aaok.com ---(tel) 702-988-0952---(fax) 702-988-0954.
They have STD cases for all year Pans.
STD is a good quality case, and made in the U.S.A.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ericnr

Might Save a Little

Post by Ericnr »

I'm building a bike and use Steel Thunder out of Mo. !0% discount
and free shipping.
Good Luck
Eric
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

I like them. I thought there might be too much deck width. Stett told me, from a motor builders point of view, you'd like the extra support in that area". His opinion trumps mine. The cases might look good with some numbers. Something that would stand for the replica cases themselves like 74FL1958 . If you were building a 1956 replica, then 74FL1956. You'd have the real MSO number on top near the relay mount, but people who looked at your machine could read it and see the year it was meant to be without asking a bunch of questions.
Randy50
Inactive member

Post by Randy50 »

Hey BOB, thanks for the reply I do like S&S products very much and have used their cases in the past.But for this build I'd like to use cases that are a little more authentic looking.Has far as the quality of STD cases they've come a long way.I remember when the left race use to spin in the case.If I remember correctly they use to cast the race in and that's what caused problems.But they've rectified that so as soon as I get a chance I'm going to order them.Thanks
dilby

Vtwins cases...

Post by dilby »

The MSO from Vtwins shows that the cases I used on mine were straight from STD, but marketed under Teddy's label...

have had no problems with my cases...and was able to transfer original Pan numbers to blank number boss.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

It has been my experience that an extremely small percentage of lookers actually know to check the boss for year. I am tired of answering "what year?" when it's right there. Funny how you can tell so much about people by the comments and questions. "What's that?" (clutch pedal) "What are you doing?" (fuel shutoff rod) "What's this for?" (tool box) I figure pans like ours don't require anti theft devises, only a few could actually get it started.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

great comments panfreak!

My personal favorite is "where is the front brake lever?"

I also like to stand back in a crowd that has gathered around one of my old bikes and listen to some "expert" incorrectly explain to his friends what all the strange gadgets and controls are. Then you walk out of the crowd, fire it up, ride off, and leave the idiot behind to explain to all his friends that "I knew the left twist grip was the spark advance", etc etc...

old iron is just plain fun, that's why I ride 'em!

mike

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”