Paint the inside of the cases

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
Pooka
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Paint the inside of the cases

Post by Pooka »

Way back when, my cases had a red paint(?) in them as a sealer.
1950, FL.

A. Do I need this any more ?
Ran engine this for years with out it, no bleed through.

B. If I do repaint the insides of the cases, what paint do I use ?

Thanks, Pooka
DaveSwanson
Bikes: 1936 VLH, 1936 VD, 1956 FLH, 1956 KHK,

Post by DaveSwanson »

The paint is Glyptal red. Some still use it, but others shy away from it because modern gas, if leaking through the carb on the sidestand, sloughs it off and causes problems
Pooka
Inactive member

Post by Pooka »

Thanks Dave.
Glyptal red isn't another problem I need to deel with.
All though I am, or will be running a newer carb and petcock, why take the added risk of having a problem ?
I think I will name this bike Alfred E. Newman " What, me worry ? " :roll:
And we all know I am kidding !
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I think the original coating was Gasoila, the company is still in business but they no longer offer the product.

Eastwood (this is not an endorsement, just FYI) sells the Glyptal but its a little pricey. The jury is still out on the durability issue but my opinion is that it probably would not stand up to prolonged exposure to P4 gasoline.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?item ... pe=PRODUCT

mike
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

we use glyptal to repair chipped power line insulators that are difficult to replace.

it is an excellent electrical insulator. we get it in spray cans.

i wonder if a guy were to paint a piece of scrap casting and immerse it in gas what would happen?

i can donate a can to anyone who wants to try it.

john
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

JohnHD asked

>>i wonder if a guy were to paint a piece of scrap casting and immerse it in gas what would happen?

Been there, done that.....
Even when baked, Glyptal is no match for P4gas.

....Cotten
Last edited by Cotten on Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

cotten,

i figured you had already tried it!

oh well.

john
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Glyptal is not rated for very high temperatures either, the spec sheet only rates it at 250.

mike
Pooka
Inactive member

Post by Pooka »

What about an epoxy based HT paint ??
dagored
Inactive member
Bikes: Knuckle

Post by dagored »

Pooka,
Cotten is on track with his tests. Try the paint you mentioned. Spray/brush it on sand cast aluminum and submerge it in the brand of gasoline that you use. I'm not sure how long Tom soaks his science projects but I'm sure he'll chime in.
JKE
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

You have to be a careful with a soaking test like this because it really is not representative of the actual environment. The inside of the cases would not normally be soaked in gasoline (I said normally). Most likely they would be coated in oil and be exposed to a small amount of gas occasionally if at all.

You would need to devise a realistic test, and that is not easy because we use different kinds of oil and different fuels. Also, the exposure of the cases to gas is different depending on numerous factors.

I would be interesting to know what Harley does at the factory on it's new cases, and what Harley dealers use on the inside of the cases when doing bottom end repair work. Of course the new cases are most likely not porous like our old ones so they probably don't need anything.

Kent
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

As Fixman pointed out, there shouldn't be fuel in the oil.
But as Dave Swanson noted, our OHV carbs point upward when the machine is on the jiffy stand.

Add a faulty petcock, or a faulty memory to use it, and raw gas can run right down the manifold, over time.

There are many fine sealers, but few that resist modern digestive fuel.

....Cotten
john HD

Post by john HD »

cotten

when you did your test did the paint dissolve or fall off in flakes?

john
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

John,

I tried the same test that Cotten did and i also tried to simulate conditions closer to actual running conditions as Fixman noted.

I coated the inside of a cam cover with Glyptal after bead blasting and careful cleaning with lacquer thinner and curing it in a low temp oven at about 200 degrees. I let the cover sit out at room temp for about a week and then flooded the inside surface with a mix of about 75% 50 weight drain oil and 25% fresh fuel from the pump at the Shell station. After about 2 days the Glyptal peeled or sloughed off like a big sheet of gooey latex. Ambient temps here in Arkansas run over 100 degrees every day in August, the cover was sitting inside a steel storage shed, not exposed to direct sunlight, I suspect my experiment conditions inidcated failure after 2 days at about 115 degrees.

for what its worth......

mike
john HD

Post by john HD »

mike

i still might try an experiment as i have a hunch the aerosol type of gylpital might have a different formula.

when we spray it on insulator strings it is very thin and runny and has a brown instead of red color.

that is what got me thinking, dangerous i know....

john

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”