Lower end timken setup, bearing preload/play 1959FL

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
John C

Lower end timken setup, bearing preload/play 1959FL

Post by John C »

I'm putting together a '59 FLH lower end right now. After installing the top timken with the flywheels in left side case, I have no discernable "shake, rock or play" in the cases, I've taken the flywheels back out to make sure the timken races are fully seated against the spacer. There does not seem to be any bearing "preload" they case spins freely on the bearing and feels very smooth, doesn't take more than a slight touch to move the case on the bearing...
Should I get the .003 spacer recomened in both the clymer and factory manuals and put in addition to the timken inner spacer or is this normal for a new matched timken set? I made sure that the races and bearings were not mixed up, and bearings are dry when checking for "shake" in the case.
This is the first HD bottom end I've done, would appreciate some advice from those who've had more experience.

Thanks in advance.

John
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Lower end timken setup, bearing preload/play 1959FL

Post by Cotten »

John!

If you are working with a sealed Timken matched package, you can trust it at what seems to be zero endplay. If it were really zero, it would feel like a bind. Please feel it with your screwpress still under its full load.
Expansion with temperature adds 'slop' geometrically, meaning it increases at a greater rate than just the arithmetic linear endplay measurement.

The book spec is "idiot clearance" that dates back to the days when it was not unusual to piece together assemblies from scratch.

...Cotten

PS: Burn that Clymer crap. Uncle Floyd is rolling over in his grave.
John C

Post by John C »

Thanks Cotten!!

Yes, it's a new sealed timken package. It feels really nice, rolls with zero bind, just doesn't have any "shake" or play in the cases.
I went ahead with the assembly and have the cases together now, everything feels good when you turn the flywheels around.
I mostly go by the factory electra glide manual, the 58-69 one, pics and detail are much better than the others.
What is common for scraper plate clearances on stock un-fettered cases?

Really appreciate the response!
John
panic

Post by panic »

John,

could you give us the part number of that sealed timken bearing set please? Question, if it's sealed how does it get lubrication from the engine oil?
Sorry I'm only used to the regular timken sets that are not sealed.
Thanks!
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Just for clarity:

When I referred in my previous post to a "sealed" package, I meant the cardboard box, not the bearing assembly itself.
Do they even make a sealed Timken bearing?? It sounds great for Indian Scout and Henderson wheel hubs! And HydraGlide forks come to think of it. Oh, yeah, swingarms too.

...Cotten
panic

Post by panic »

Thanks Cotten for the reply. I'd never heard of sealed Timken bearings before.
I guess it's not possible to have sealed Timken or similar type bearings, meaning sealed like sealed ball bearings.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”