Sloppy connecting rods

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
65 Eric
Inactive member

Sloppy connecting rods

Post by 65 Eric »

Gentlemen,
I'm finally getting around to replacing my pistons (9:5-1 Wiseco) with some low compression pistons to eliminate the pinging I still get despite all the tremendous help I've received here and everything else I've done. But I digress, I removed my heads and cylinders after taking a compression reading and getting 60lbs. on the front and 90lbs. on the rear. The front cylinder wall is scored with some grooves that should clean up within .010 That probably happened right out of the gate when the motor got hot and blew a head gasket in the first ten miles. My first attempt at doing a top-end, nuff said. At the time I was doing the top-end I noticed my connecting rods had .060 play along the length of the crankshaft meaning I could slide them back and forth along the crankshaft. I know the spec. is .015 but was told some builders prefer more so I let it go and put the motor together (I wanted to ride!). I still have that play of course but now I notice if I grab the top of the connecting rods they "wobble" about 1/8 in. I'm talking about left to right not up and down. I can't seem to get any play up and down and I'm wondering if the .0006-.001 clearance between connecting rod bushing and crankshaft translates to that much motion at the top of the connecting rod. Is taking apart the cases and measuring everything the only way to tell? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question but I don't know what's good or bad at this point. Btw, my bike is a 1965 FLH with STD heads, CV carb. and Andrews "B" cam. I know I'll have to change the cam when I go to low-comp. pistons but I'm wondering if I need to send my cases out (I won't touch'em) for re-build and if so who do you guys recommend? As always, thx a million..

65 Eric
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Eric -

Plan on a major rebuild. I wish that I could take on everyone's project, as I love engine building. Unfortunately, I'm my only employee. And, he's got his hands full with work. You need to have a really good shop rebuild to nice, snug factory specs. And, reverse calculate the balance factor with the new piston components. This is done before the flywheels are assembled, so that if necessary the balance can be touched up to something close to it's original of 55% to 58%, for street/road/cruising. Mostly, for peace of mind.

Don't let anyone convince you that you are close enough, as is. Build it for long life.

Jack
65 Eric
Inactive member

Post by 65 Eric »

Mr. Hester,
Thanks for your advice, now I just need to find someone who'll take on the job, preferably somewhere in So. Calif. that I can take my cases to myself instead of dealing with the packing and shipping of something that heavy. Any idea how much I should pay? this is all new to me and I don't have a clue as to what to expect. I realize there's many variables but assuming the cases themselves are in good shape?......

thx again,
Eric
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Eric -

No idea what someone will charge, in your area. Maybe some of the other members will know better. My guess would be a minimum of $1000 to $1500 (parts and labor), at the least for your area. Hopefully, down on the low end, or less.

Jack
mtnspan
Inactive member

Post by mtnspan »

Hey Eric! maybe we can get a two for one deal :wink:
Check out this price list, they're in Long Beach.
http://www.highgearmachine.com/pg3.html
65 Eric
Inactive member

Post by 65 Eric »

Thx again Jack, it looks like Bob and I are going to be shopping for the same service. I'm with ya Bob on the 2 fer 1 if we can convince a shop owner to go for it. But then again, maybe we should avoid any shop willing to do that! I know we're just bullsh##### but we do need to find someone reputable. I don't mind sending it across the country to get it right but I'd like to think there's someone here (local) that's qualified. I'd like to check out that place in Long Beach you found and see if they have a bunch of happy customers. What's the word on Stett's that I seem to read alot about here? Anyone......? how bout Diamond Bar Choppers? he honed my cylinders for me but I don't know if he'll work on "old stuff".

thx much,
Eric

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”