Big End Seal leak?

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
jamiefixit
Bikes: 51 Pan. 72 Econoline.

Big End Seal leak?

Post by jamiefixit »

Hi, new to Pans and just bought a 51 that came with dry belt open primary. When the bike is stood it seeps oil from the big end bearing seal behind the primary sprocket. I'm guessing this seal needs replacing. But... I understand there is a thing called a slinger that is designed to do something like this... If I want to stop this leak, can I do this from the outside without taking the motor apart (Climer manual on it's way) and is the seal I put in something other than a slinger. I've been trying to find a diagram or pics so I can see how it goes together... I'm sure this is covered here somewhere already so really appreciate any advice.

Cheers, Jamie.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: Big End Seal leak?

Post by steve_wood »

Check out this topic. Part way down the page is a link for a small shop that sells a special seal that works well.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=7492
jamiefixit

Post by jamiefixit »

Hey thanks, am I right or is that a gearbox fix not an engine fix? My leak is from the engines crankshaft seal... Ta, Jamie.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Jamiefixit---Hello & welcome.Yes you can fix the seal on the left crank.It takes some figiting & patience ,But It will come out!--Read what & how OTHERS have done this in the K-BASE on the top of screen!//MOST IMPORTANT!--GET RID of the CLYMERS MANUAL!/they make good kindling.Get the CORRECT MANUAL for your MOTOR!--YOU can download off this site in PDF file type.Take your time ASK questions & you will be turning asphalt in no time!----Respectfully---RICHIE
jamiefixit

Post by jamiefixit »

Hey Richie,

Thanks, I've been digging through the KBase and trying to find the seal solution but there is a lot to look through. It's fascinating. A pointer for a solution without pulling the motor would be good and so far I can't see anything specific about this. Also there is some debate about why the slinger should leak at all unless the bike is sumping (learned this from reading here) which mine is. Still haven't grovelled around in the dirt to work out which hole it came out of, but running a belt and open primary means that at some stage someone has probably done some of the work.

I guess I don't know what a lot of discussions refer to ie where is the ball and spring valve I need to check that might be related to sumping? I'll keep digging through though... Photos and diags help so much...
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

jamiefixit,
The left side bearing retainer on an early Panhead IS the seal, the "slinger" is merely a left hand spiral cut in the steel retainer to re-direct oil back into the crankcase. With a standard primary a bit of oil out of them isn't an issue. There are aftermarket retainers available with a true seal in them for open primaries, but installation can be tough. The original retainer is a press fit in the case bushing, and can be quite tight. An easy switch when the engine is apart, but difficult when together. The snap ring is an issue to get out. A slight tap in on the retainer to give the snap ring a bit of clearance will help to get it out. However, when installing the new seal/retainer combo it is essential that it isn't too deep and preloads the crank spacer or bearing cages. If you aren't comfortable with that kind of procedure some outside help may be required.
Robbie
jamiefixit

Post by jamiefixit »

Hey Robbie,

That's a big help. I struggled to find just that in the Kbase. Would be good to know where I can get a seal from, I'm spending a lot of time in the KBase but struggling a bit, so maybe I'm using the wrong search words. For example looking for issues that cause sumping so I can start to address these. Found a PDF doc with some good exploded diagrams in it. Damned if I can find it again... Heh.
49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Post by 49bones »

jamiefixit wrote:Hey Robbie,

That's a big help. I struggled to find just that in the Kbase. Would be good to know where I can get a seal from, I'm spending a lot of time in the KBase but struggling a bit, so maybe I'm using the wrong search words. For example looking for issues that cause sumping so I can start to address these. Found a PDF doc with some good exploded diagrams in it. Damned if I can find it again... Heh.

The Clymer manual will give you some of the words that you need. I have just changed the seal in the main shaft on the outside, which was hard to locate in the K base and in the clymer it was not that clear, but it gets you close. Good luck and like Richie said ask as many questions as you can!

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”