seperator and screen

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

seperator and screen

Post by hydra74 »

is this the right place for the seperator and screen ? when I removed the gearcover they where missing for some reason I don't know.

and what seperates it, oil and air maybe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Looks fine.

I think its just supposed to be a bubble-buster: an archaic hold-over from when oils did not have anti-foam additives.

....Cotten
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

Post by hydra74 »

Thanks, learning all the time
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

The purpose of the breather screen and baffle is to seperate the base pressure air from the excessive amount of oil mixed with it from the conrod bearings in the flywheel cavity. Without it there is bassically a splatter effect big time coming out of the crancase. Oil and air. After passing thu the breather screen timed at highest base pressure, (pistons on downstroke), it passes thru the screen and the oil closer to liquid form (mostly) can now run down to the scavange pump in a more liquid form for return to the tank with still a bit of air in it. The breather air can now exit to the primary with no oil in it in a perfect world if all else is correct. That is if the rods arent excessivly feed with oil. Swamping can be a problem on certain conditions. Even the best of oils need to be seperated from crankase pressure air. Thats the way I see it and if anyone can offer an otherwise view or has more, hope to hear from ya.The old shop manuals dont explain too much and you have to figure this kinda stuff on your own......Joe
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

its in the right spot,
you can also add the later model baffle that goes into the tube that is cast into the case. it is abot 1-1/2" long and looks like 1/2 circles that are opposite each other with a common center stem. this breaks up the oil from the air, the oil then drains back in to the case

mbskeam

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”