61 pan tappet screen

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
Davidw04
Bikes: 1961 Panhead

61 pan tappet screen

Post by Davidw04 »

I am having a problem finding it on my 61 motor.. I don't know if I'm missing it or it's just not there
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 61 pan tappet screen

Post by RUBONE »

It is under the plug on the right case behind the oil pump and aft of the tappet block. If it isn't under the plug it is missing.
Davidw04

Post by Davidw04 »

I can't seem to find the plug I see the 2 for the check valves on the pump but that it.. It's also an original 61 flh block so idk why I can't track it down
Davidw04

Post by Davidw04 »

Is it supposed to be in the gear case cover?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

That isn't a '61 right case. How about more pics of the cases? You may have a Frankenstein....
Davidw04

Post by Davidw04 »

What do you mean Frankenstein? The engine is a 61flh. It was rebuilt I just don't know what was done
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

image.jpg
That's not a 61 right case , check the belly numbers ( If they are there) and let us know. There's a shot of case with a provision for the screen, see the difference?
Adam
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

David, welcome to the forum. As mentioned above, that isn’t a 1961 right-hand case. Provision for a tappet screen first appeared as of mid/late-1952 model machines although the earliest I’ve seen said provision incorporated into the crankcase casting itself is February 1951 as per the case shown below:

Your oil pump looks aluminium which means it is 1968 or later if it’s a Harley pump or it could be an aftermarket pump. Also notice your gear cover has eight ribs but a 1961 model Panhead did not originally have an eight-rib cover. Instead it would have originally had one of the several different types of four-rib cover that Harley used over the years.

Stamped under both case halves near the outer edge and somewhat toward the front you may find belly numbers (BNs) and for Panheads they may be formatted similar to the following example: 148-1234. The first character is a code number and the next two characters indicate year. Please tell us the first three characters on each case half. The left BN should be fairly easy to see even if a crankcase guard is fitted but the R-H BN may be harder to read so a flashlight may be handy.

And I’ll send you a PM.
Eric
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Dave---The left case with the pad & numbers stamped on it,is what should be on the TITLE!//The right case however can be from a number of big-twins!//Yours looks early with an even earlier 8-finn cover!.The olny way to know what the rightside case is GET the digits off the Belly!-As all the gentlemen have said!---You will have to remove the skidplate-(4-bolts)& clean the belly near the edge & front of case.-(just a general area).Theres nothing wrong with running a mismatched set!--(thats a Frankenbike!).Alot of these machines out there!.Thats the Beauty in DESIGN of our Motors!--However if wanting a OEM full boat,,,its not in the cards!---There are a few Aftermarket non-OEM parts That can be seen from the pic.///I wouldnt worry about it to much ,As long as she runs good ENJOY IT! Thats what there for!-Pressure release valve!///On the other hand if you were lied to & PAID a PREMIUM---(Thats something you will have to deal with the seller!).I can just say Ive seen ALOT of guys get duped on FLEECE-BAY! & there will be more!---Respectfully----RICHIE
Davidw04

Post by Davidw04 »

Thank you everyone.. The bike has been in my family since the mid 70's and was passed down to me from my father when he passed. The number on the left case is 61flh so I don't know if the right was changed when the engine was rebuilt or at an earlier date and the bike has an s&s oil pump and what else does not belong there
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

David,
How about some pics of the left side. There is a chance that the left case is earlier also and just stamped with the '61 numbers, a common occurrence on these older H-Ds.
The cam cover on it is a style last used in 1950 and is consistent with the right case. You can look up at the underside of the heads near the pushrod tubes and see what numbers are there. It will help identify the top end.
Also, your tanks do not appear to be correct. The emblem is but the tanks should have a recess that the emblems fit into, and from the picture it doesn't seem to be there.
Robbie

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”