Tappet question

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
6hds
Bikes: 2012flhtc,1979fxef,1977flh,1960flh,1971Hodaka100B+,1972 HD SS350 Sprint 67 T120R, 67 A65L

Tappet question

Post by 6hds »

The lower tappet came out of the rear cylinder intake of my 60FLH. It looks to me that the oil would have restricted oil flow to the hydraulic cartridge and across to the exhaust tappet too. The other 3 tappets are similar, but this is the most restrictive looking example. As a comparison the upper tappet is out of my stockpile of worn out parts. The dozen or so tappets in the pile are all pretty much identical with a long flat extending into the oil feed area. The previous owner stated the hydraulics never worked so he changed to solids which I suspect also affected the oil pressure. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks, Gary
6hds
Bikes: 2012flhtc,1979fxef,1977flh,1960flh,1971Hodaka100B+,1972 HD SS350 Sprint 67 T120R, 67 A65L

Re: Tappet question

Post by 6hds »

thought I attached a picture with this post. I'll try to do this again. sorry, Gary
6hds

Post by 6hds »

tappets 003.JPG
Here's the picture of the tappets but the image is rotated. Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

I don't think solids would effect oil pressure
Adam
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

6hds---Solids wont affect pressure,--pressure is a bad word !-Lets say FLOW! :mrgreen: ,Anyway if anything the Solids would give better FLOW -as the whitches-hat is most likely removed & your not FEEDING HYDs.!---If going back to HYDs. Upon keeping-up with reading & results -I believe that CRANE are making TROUBLE-FREE pumpers!. JIMS HYDs. with small AXLE also work!.--On the other side I have NEVER run HYDs. in any of my bikes!--My pan has been on solids for 25+yrs. now!--& I love it!//--Its all about the (PREVENTIVE MAINTENENCE!)-& FREQUENT OIL CHANGES!.--I dont even run a filter!--I have a MAGNET for a drain & a PINGEL with a magnet & 40-micron screen inside ,thats hooked to the return!.I wouldnt RECOMMEND this , but IM on top of my olny source of transport! & my OIL is CLEAN when I change it!.--I olny run my OEM filter for the 1st.-3000-miles after a COMPLETE overhaul!--Then pull it & use the PINGLE!.I add 3/4s of a QT. every 4-500 miles CAUSE I USE MY CHAIN-OILER!/So my bike is wet chains & sloppy on the left tire!--Who cares,Its suppose to be!--I change my chains every 2yrs.-(imagine if I didnt use the oiler!???).6HDs--get a good set of HYDs if you prefer them & Make-sure your guide to tappet is .001-.0015!--The manual I believe say looser clearence.&= not good!.If you have ALOT to choose from -PICK the slow-bleeders.& hopefully the running clearence is good!-A stock-pump is MORE then GOOD on a PAN!.--No need for faster gears blah,blah.........A THIN PUMP GASKET is a MUST!---Make yer own --most dont make them thin enuff!--(A used good-Gasket is BETTER then a NEW uncompressed Gasket).Use QUALITY P-RODS!.& CORK SEALS!--(All that blue & black rubber sillycone seals SLIDE & LEAK!.Upon putting your tappet blocks back in--MAKE-SURE the OIL HOLES LINE-UP PERFECTLY!.Dont run a ANDREWS A-GRIND with HYDs.---it wont make you happy!---The A is real sweet with SOLID TAPPETS!///GOOD-LUCK & Im sure others will give you thier exp. using this hardware!--Respectfully---RICHIE---Im sorry for the multiple post fellas!
Last edited by 58flh on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
6hds

Post by 6hds »

My point was that upper tappet doesn't look like it will flow oil across to the other tappet because of the hole placement in the blocks. The reason I read that solids reduce psi is every time the valves close oil is allowed to flow out the top of the tappet because of the hot lash clearance there. The solid lifter adapters I took out have a .006 loose fit in the tappet. Another solid kit I have laying around (this kind with the adjusters on the solid) is similar. Thats a pretty big gap for hot oil to pass thru I think. The hydraulic insert is being held down on the tappet by the zero clearance it creates by oil in the insert. With that resistance to flow some pressure should be seen. Just a theory? made sense to me. Gary
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

6hds---If im reading this correctly --you have gutted hyds. & a cup placed inside of the tappet.THEY are NOT REALLY good to use without some added steps!.If you want good SOLID-TAPPETS get the S&S-KIT!--It comes with p-rods & the ADJ. are on the TAPPET!--(VERY NICE SET-UP).IF going the cheap route ,& I know guys running these inserts without problems!--You have to Take all the Parts & CLEAN ALL the OIL off EVERYTHING!--Take the new incerts & CLEAN THEM as well. Then Get Hi-TEMP. LOC-TITE-(600 degrees F)-is the one you want.PUT enuff in the lifter to COAT the BOTTOM GOOD!-(1/32 is PLENTY).Place the incerts in & Put weight on them so you know there DOWN-HARD. LET DRY for 2-DAYS!!!.Then assemble as usual.This will hold the incerts from ANY movement & will LAST quite along time!--(IF THE CORRECT LOC-TITE is used!).Today there are many manufacturers that have good SOLIDS!.--(S&S-is one that I have put in a few old bikes ,including my own,& NO TROUBLES!---Also if you want a accurate Pressure Reading/Use a SNAP-ON GAGE!--Its about the olny thing that will read 1lb.& be Correct!.---Again I have to say it--FLOW is more IMPORTANT!---Respectfully----RICHIE

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”