Thoroughly confused... Breather tube won't fit

Bottom End (crankcases and crankshaft)
Clintb
Bikes: Panhead

Thoroughly confused... Breather tube won't fit

Post by Clintb »

Hello all. My name is Clint and I'm new to the site. I already gained a ton of information from you guys but now I've ran across something I cannot figure out. I inherited a basket case pan from my father that was partially put together. Basically an assembled motor on a frame. I've spent the last couple years putting it back together, teaching myself as I go. I finally got it running and have rode it a couple times. My problem is that it's leaking oil out of everywhere, which seems to be common on panheads. I've replaced several gaskets here and there and every time I fix one, another 2 leaks pop up. I think I've finally determined that it's because there is no breather tube installed. I converted it to belt drive, but the motor was assembled before I converted it, and there was no breather to begin with. Just a 3/8 bolt. So I bought a breather and when I tried to put it in, it wouldn't fit. Too long. Apparently there is no hole on the right side of the case for the other end to come out of. When I look in the hole, I can see that there are threads at the other end near the oil pump. They actually start where the two halves of the case go together. I showed some pics to a guy at a local mechanic shop and he suggested I either have an after market case, or it's a 66' - 69' model case. I don't know what year it is, because there are no numbers on it. The bike was wrecked back in 70's and I know the left side was tore up pretty bad. I assume the case was damaged and replaced. He died back in 95', having only partially assembled it. The mechanic's only suggestion was that I remove whatever I have in the place where my welsh plug should be (looks like bolt with JB weld in the pic) and vent it from there. You guys have any thoughts? Can I just vent the breather that goes into the oil tank? Put a "T" in the line and vent it to atm?
IMAG0064.jpg
20130907_120728.jpg
IMAG0065.jpg
20130907_120702.jpg
20130907_120639.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Re: Thoroughly confused... Breather tube won't fit

Post by jdpan »

Pics are HUGE!!!!
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

On my mill, there's a hole on the right side where I bolt the breather tube. On your bike, it would be right in the centre of this picture:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

My problem is that it's leaking oil out of everywhere, which seems to be common on panheads.
Your breather belongs on the right side where Steve pictured it. The boss covered with that grey crap is where the breather belongs. Without it your engine will pressurize and push oil out of everywhere. Good Panheads don't leak, and anyone who claims otherwise is a poor mechanic or never actually had one and is repeating urban legends.
The replacement breather you bought is for a '57 and earlier type set-up, not what your cases are.
What is the belly number on the right case? It will tell you the year. Your left case is a replacement aftermarket type from around the '70s or early '80s.
And I hope that sprocket nut is being replaced and proper tools used to deal with it. Hammer jockeys that destroy parts like that don't deserve Panheads. That is sacrilege!
Clintb

Post by Clintb »

Rubone, so you're saying that bolt or whatever it is needs to come out and the breather goes there? Then on the left side of the case where it would normally go will be plugged. am I understanding this correctly? Oh and the beat up nut has long been replaced... That was an old pic from when I first got it
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Yes, the breather belongs on the right side case. Not where you are attempting to put it.
If you look in the knowledge base the oiling schematic is pictured. Don't forget how much info is available on here to help you.
Clintb

Post by Clintb »

Ok. Looks like my right case is from a shovel. Learn something new everyday. There were no numbers anywhere on the right case. Is this the breather I need?
Clintb

Post by Clintb »

Yeah that's the wrong part. Actually found some pics online of what I have. I think know what I need to do. Thanks for the help fellas.
olpanrider
Bikes: 1950 FLH
1962 FLH
1999 FLHTCUI

Post by olpanrider »

see the large M cast into the left case just under the rear cylinder?(not to mention it has a press in seal) well that's not factory its aftermarket .. the left case doesn't have a lip for the tin primary and is flat for a aluminum primary. where you are trying to put the breather stud is the correct place if your right case was for a tin primary but it ain't its for a aluminum primary. the left case is aftermarket so they made it so it could be used with a breather tube if you needed to.. that's why it has such a large hole for the bolt. what you need to do is put the bolt back in and get that jb weld crap off the bolt next to the oil pump on the right case and remove it. see what you have there to work with and put a hose nipple in and run about a 2ft long hose off of it to let it breathe.
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike »

Just maybe it's Been Added by Now.......But in a left side case picture.......I see No Under cases "SKID PLATE"......If you dont have one on it Now......It would be a great way to
keep the crank cases from being damaged by a curb ect.......Ride Aware and Ride Free !
Clintb

Post by Clintb »

BTW, found the correct breather to go in the right side. Managed to get that "plug" out. It was a piece of all thread with JB weld on it. Installed breather and ran a piece of hose to my rear chain. No more leaks. Thanks again for the help.

Return to “Bottom End / Crankcases / Flywheels”