Oil running out of chain oiler

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Oil running out of chain oiler

Post by 03Roadking »

Hello
I hope someone can give me good news about this I read the post back in Oct. About "wet sumping" but I am still worried. I just bought this 62 Pan and couldn't wait for it to show up I spent 8 hours going over it. (I wont bore you with the details but lets say grease guns and cotter keys work wonders) I picked up 4 quarts of 50wt and a filter because I was going to change the oil and the guy told me he drained the gas out so he could ship it so I picked up a gallon of gas and some Marvel mystery oil. I checked the trans and it was dry so I looked in the oil tank and it was dry also so I figured he drained all fluids so I went back to HD and picked up gear oil. So I fill the trans then the oil tank and last I mix a little MMO with the gas and pour it in. Then I kick it and kick it and well you get the picture It finale comes a live but it's back firing a lot, as I look down there is oil all over the ground, I shut it off and start looking to see where it was coming from turns out to be the primary oiler The guy told me he had a belt put on and turned the oiler off. If it was wet sumping the oil would be dirty but this was new clean oil. Could it be from sitting in this guys garage for months the oil seeped into the crank case and when I looked in there was no oil so I filled it? But Wouldn't the oil coming out the oiler be dirty oil from the crank case and not the new oil I just put in
Sorry this is so long but I waited a long time for this panhead and the last one I had was 30 years ago and it never did this to me, maybe because I rode it every day
anyway like I said in the beginning I hope someone can give me some good news.
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Oil running out of chain oiler

Post by caschnd1 »

Is it possible that the guy had changed the oil just before he parked it? That could account for having a belly full of clean oil. Did you check to make sure your new oil was still in the oil tank? If the check ball in the pump was stuck open, maybe your new oil made it's way into the cases pretty quick. Never had that happen so I don't know how long it would take to drain the tank into the cases.
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

I just checked the oil tank after sitting all night it still has most of the oil I put in it. I would say it was down about a 1/4 of an inch from where I started
Also this is an after market wrap around oil tank I don't know if this makes any difference. The panhead I had years ago had the same. One thing that I noticed was it only took 3 qts to fill it and I remember putting in 3 1/2 to almost 4 qts in the old one I sure would like to figure this out.
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

Well I started it today and let it run for about three minute with an oil pan under it I would say it puked out the three quarts I put in yesterday all new oil there wasn't any dirt in it
I still can't figure it out Anyone????
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

03-
I assume your oil tank is empty now ? Right.
If not it already had a belly full of fresh oil, waiting to 'puke it out' (either way)
You gotta get your Service Manual open & check your 'oil pump'. It's wet sumping. There is a check-ball
under the back screw cap & a spring. The oil is "Gravity fed" & is leaking past the check ball into the cases.. Either you have some crud in there or it needs "burnished" (see archives) to get it's perfect seat/seal again.. Your manual will show a picture, but it's the screw-cap near the breather hose..
It's not too difficult to fix properly. You'll see..
Take your time.. This is a common problem..

Even w/primary oiler shut off it still breathes there some. Best to run a hose on it & out of there, maybe to the rear chain. (also in Archives)
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello
did it drain your oil bag?
is any of the oil going back to the oil tank in the return line?
is it a stock oil pump?
sounds like the check ball is stuck or MISSING.
I would pull the top plug on the oil pump and take a look,
maybe a buddy needed a part.
mbskeam
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

oh... billy
you type faster than me.......LOL
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Mbskeam-
I am getting a little faster typing, but still using the (1) finger method.. ;)
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck peck ;D
it gets the job done.
mbskeam
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

Thanks guys
It is a S&S oil pump and the guy said he put it on two weeks before I bought it The way he has it set up is the top line closest to the seat goes to the top of the case, the line next to that goes to the top of the pump, the line from the back of the tank goes to the bottom of the pump and the oil pressure gauge with the broken needle in the middle of the pump. I have read that some S&S need to be modified for some bikes? the one thing I have always hated was trying to figure out someone else's mess
03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

I was talking to a guy at J&P while I was ordering some parts for the panhead He said he had the same wrap around oil tank with filter He changed his oil and filter fired it up and it puked all the oil out, he found it was a bad filter it would not let the oil go thru for some reason
he replaced the filter and it worked fine. The filter is the one that came in with the bike Could it be cloged or just so dirty oil can't pass thru I ordered another one from him
But has anyone heard of this ???
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Which pump do you have?

03Roadking

Post by 03Roadking »

Thanks Panhead
It looks like the first one on the left after reading the web site this thing looks wrong. I am not sure about the lines, he has the top two hoses, the one closest the seat going to the case just above the pump and the second one going to the top left hole of the pump #1 (on the chart) then the hose from the back of the tank goes to the bottom of the pump #4 What am I missing???
could the two on the top be reversed???
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
that is how lines are set up also, with the same S&S pump on the left. but the top 2 lines on my tank go straight in with no other tubes inside.
the reason I say this is, I recall that some tanks, on the return side have a tube on the inside that runs down into the oil. but is that stock or do I have a after market oil tank?
all I know is that it works. did you pull the plug to see if the check ball is hanging up? or even there.It is the one on the inside ,not the tall one.
when I got mine I did find METAL CHIPS on the inside of mine from the machining and a hanger on chip that could have broken free if I had not knocked it out of the passage, that is why the inst. say to clean the pump before putting it on, and for piece of mind.
mbskeam
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

03Roadking,

I have the same pump you have (#31-6059 in the picture above). Line closest to the seat on the top of the oil tank goes to the case. Line next to that (also top of oil tank) goes to hole #1 in the picture. Feed line from bottom of oil tank goes to hole #4. Sounds like the same setup your using. Only difference on mine is that I use hole #3 to feed top end oiler lines.

Your check ball that keeps oil from running from the tank into the cases when your not running the motor can be found under the large flat blade screw cap closest to hole #1 on top of the pump.

-Craig

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”