57 pan oiling /breathing issue

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
alamobikes
Inactive member
Bikes: custom choppers, we build them

57 pan oiling /breathing issue

Post by alamobikes »

Hey guys, hoping you can help me on this project. Just finished a custom bike with a 57 pan w/shovel heads engine, S&S oil pump, and fresh rebuild nothing crazy.I have too much oil pressure, gauge reads around 60 psi. I don't think this engine is breathing right,as also I having oil coming out of mainshaft seal when running
Oil lines are correctly routed. There is a vent fitting about 1/2"diameter coming out behind lower oil pump area in the case,I have that vented. I understand that that motor should have a breather tube/roller looking gig coming out where lower rear engine case stud would be on the left lower side of engine? I took that regular bolt out ,there is about a 1/2 diameter hole in case where bolt goes through, but it is blocked off on the inside by threads in the case for that bolt ? This same hole is directly inline with the first breather fitting mentioned. Shouldn't this hole go all the way through from the left side case to right side case so it can breath ?or is that breather mentioned all what is needed and is normal ? Looking inside though it looks factory ? Am I missing something ?
Hope you kind of understand what I'm saying , any help or suggestions would be great !
Thank you Al
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: 57 pan oiling /breathing issue

Post by steve_wood »

Pictures would help.
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

Regarding your case bolt, it sounds like someone removed the welch plug on the breather passage nearest the bottom of the oil pump and put a vent in that hole, possibly in an effort to vent the crankcase somewhere other than the inner primary. Is it possible the thru bolt (normal breather bolt) is hitting the vent that is screwed into the now removed welch plug?
alamobikes
Inactive member

Post by alamobikes »

Thanks for the reply,I'm not sure what a welch plug is, but there is a threaded fitting there,( in the case by oil pump as described) and that's where we installed a hose with aftermarket clamp on filter to breath. As for the bolt we are talking about that was put in where the breather assembly should be ( behind the primary -left case)
That bolt looks like it actually just threads into the other half of the case,so when you look in, the threads look original ,but don't go all the way through into the engine ( blind threads),and there is no open passage what so ever inside that bolt hole ? Should there definatly be an inside passage way from the right side case through to the left side case for that breather set up so it breathes through the primary side completely ? Or where there options on these panheads that only would breath from the welch fitting on the right side ? Sorry this is my first pan motor ! Could it be two wrong cases mated ? the 57 case and another case from different year ?
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

Yes, that breather bolt hole (the one that leads to the primary and also holds the case halves together should go all the way thru both case halves. You could have an aftermarket right case, or someone possibly threaded that hole in the right case and welded it shut, kinda hard to tell. That being said, if the breather you have installed is actually working that shouldnt cause your problem. I would be concerned about the tensile strength of those threads in the case versus the thru bolt but that just me.

The welch plug is just a fancy name for a steel or aluminum plug that the factory used to seal a hole that is not necessary for engine operation but was necessary to complete machining of the internal passages. I have heard of guys removing the plug and using it as the breather fitting when running a primary belt.

In regards to your original problem I would pay attention to what Robbie said on your other thread. I don't say much here myself, but if he and some of the other guys here offer and opinion I would listen. You probably also need to get a HD service manual if you are doing any work on these things, there is a PDF version in the Knowledge base if you don't want to buy one.
alamobikes
Inactive member

Re: 57 pan oiling /breathing issue_Re Mike

Post by alamobikes »

Thanks Mike,
I do have the factory manuaul but I was a bit confused with the welch plug and through passage,drawing not super specific. We are running an open belt drive so the bolt is actually a help as long as it's breathing. Just waiting for a new crank seal to come in , and I will replace while belt drive is off.Soon as I fire bike I'll check that the other fitting ( that replaced the welch plug) and make sure it is sucking and venting.If not that will lead me to think the internal breather that is timed may be off timing. Never know what the original engine builder did which sucks, but I quess we'll get her fiqured. If that breather is working right,should I assume all is well ? 60 plus psi stilll worries me, but I'll keep you posted. Thanks so much for your help.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Al!

Without pics,
I am still confused as to your set-up.

But one thing that I am sure of is that a filter upon the breather will become a problem, sooner or later.

....Cotten

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”