Oil Filter

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Oil Filter

Post by jdpan »

Other than stock, what are y'all doing for oil filters? I want to install one but I'm looking more for some kinda custom application. Something like this behind the trans looks interesting, if I could hide it more even better.
(Photo by Mikethedruid)
panbagger
Bikes: 52 panhead

Re: Oil Filter

Post by panbagger »

I have a swing arm frame and I wanted to put a oil filter on it but didn't know what to do. So a friend of mine said think outside the box so I did. I got a remote mount for a lawn mower, maid a bracket and mounted it behind the trans below the swing arm. Then I found a short car filter that would spin on and that is what I used. I used all stainless a n fittings and had a friend bend custom aluminum oil lines for all of the plumbing, that's how I did it. It all works well, and have had this set up for 5 years. Scott
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

JD, I've got a bracket that I took off my pan when I re-built a few years back, I mounts to the front motor mount area and takes a small MC filter. Let me know if you want it. You pay shipping and it's yours...Mike
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

Panbagger, i did something like that with a universal mount, had to heat it, bend it, hammer it, weld it, solder it and hammer it some more. Eventually I got it to fit but could never get the in-out tubes to weld up securely. Eventually they broke loose and dumped oil right in front of the rear tire... You can guess the rest...

Panacea, front motor mounts huh? Hmm... does it go on top of the mounts or bottom on the skid plate? Id certainly be interested in something like that, any way you can put a pic up or link me to it??? Thanks for the offer buddy!
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

Sure, give me a few minutes...
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

JD, PM me your e-mail address, I'll send you some pics. Mike
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

Pm sent...
Panacea

Post by Panacea »

check your mail for the pics.
Sir_Rat
Inactive member
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat »

Then I found a short car filter that would spin on and that is what I used.
Scott.....I hope for your sake I'm wrong on this one but it is to my understanding car oil filters are a real bad choice.
They filter ok but the oil filter bybass valve will not function due to the much lower oil pressures our favorite motorcycles like to run at. That bypass valve is like an insurance policy you hope you never need it but its peace of mind to have it. It might be possible to modify the car filters bypass valve to operate at the right oil pressure, but I sure wouldn't run a car filter on any of my bikes. JMHO

Aloha...Mike
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

jd, heres a link to a bracket.http://www.fabkevin.com/filterbracket.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the remote filter you can get at summit or jegs for about 20 bucks.
jibhead
Inactive member
Bikes: 43 wlc ,1990 xl1200 ,73 shovel

Post by jibhead »

try these out

http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyoil.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panbagger

Post by panbagger »

well mike i am not sure about the bypass on the filter, but at the time it fit the application. I've used it for 5 years now and never had a problem with it. The type of filter really wasn't what i was trying to convey, but what type of mount I used and how and where i mounted it on my bike. jdpan was looking for ideas so I thought I would throw it out there. it is what it is, just an idea. Scott
jdpan

Post by jdpan »

Hey, thanks for all the great ideas and links. Panacea is sending me the front motor mount filter bracket, Im gonna see what I can do with that, if it doesnt work out, Ill be revisiting these suggestions. Thanks for all the input! Be nice if someone made a slip on, finned filter cover to act as a cooler as well.
panbagger

Post by panbagger »

here is just a few pictures on how and where i mounted my oil filter. Also a stone shield to keep the rocks from puncturing the filter. Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jibhead
Inactive member
Bikes: 43 wlc ,1990 xl1200 ,73 shovel

Post by jibhead »

jdpan wrote:Hey, thanks for all the great ideas and links. Panacea is sending me the front motor mount filter bracket, Im gonna see what I can do with that, if it doesnt work out, Ill be revisiting these suggestions. Thanks for all the input! Be nice if someone made a slip on, finned filter cover to act as a cooler as well.
there is just that in some of the catalogues a slightly sprung finned cover which fits the standard sportster oil fiter size

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”