59 pan early model or late ?? FLH2101

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

59 pan early model or late ?? FLH2101

Post by neilw »

I'm looking for the inner primary drain pipe assembly,the book shows early and late.
59 My serial is FLH2101 .Can someone tell me if it's late or not?
Also I'm uncertain about the rear drive chain oiler,the book shows I should have one but there's no hole in my inner primary for any oil to pass through except the drain hole at the bottom right below the transmission output shaft. I mostly curious about the rear chain oiler because I'm thinking of using an O ring chain that won't get my whitewalls all covered in oil..
BTW I have not done any research on rear drive chains ,years ago there was the Oring type ,is there anything more practical on the market besides a belt drive? I'd like to stay with a chain ,but dont want oil everywhere. Thanks
Neil
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 59 pan early model or late ?? FLH2101

Post by RUBONE »

Whitewalls might look good on your Beemer, and they'd stay clean too! :mrgreen:
Robbie
Oh, and the rear chain oiler comes off the oil pump, not the primary.
Do a search on O-ring chains, they have been discussed a lot!
And if you plan on riding it, the whitewalls will get dirty, no matter what.
neilw
1991 HD springer
1991 BMW 75RT.

Post by neilw »

My parts book shows part " 63591-62 Rear chain oiler kit ....54 to 64- FL, FLH. "
I think your confusing the primary chain oiler which carries the oil from the pump over to the primary case with the rear drive chain.( it needs oil too ) .I have it .
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Neil,
You better study that parts book some more. I guess I must have mistaken you for someone who was interested in learning something about your bike. But what do I know, I've only been messing with this junk for 40 years.
Have fun
Robbie
Perry Ruiter
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: ?

Post by Perry Ruiter »

63591-62 was offered as a kit that installed in the upper inside of the inner primary. I'm unsure if it was ever fit from the factory (maybe on 63 and 64?) or if it was only an accessory item. I've attached the installation instructions. And for those interested in studying the parts book, a scan from the 68 parts book. Item 52 is 63591-62 "rear chain oiler kit" ... Perry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

That is all fine and good Perry, except that he owns a '59., and that kit did not exist then, merely the kit that mounted on the oil pump for the rear chain oiler. I suppose though that anyone can add whatever they want to their own bike, correct or not. But then why the concern over early or late '59?
Just wondering?
Robbie
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Neil, I can't say for sure what H-D considers early vs late but serial numbers for 1959 production Panheads apparently began at 1001. The highest example I have which is factory-stamped is 59FL63++. And I have an example of 59FL66++ which appears factory-stamped.

Below are 59 Pan production figures from The Legend Begins, an official Harley publication. (And remember the second F in FLF and FLHF wasn't stamped on the engine as part of the serial number.) But please be advised H-D says the production figures are not to be regarded as totally accurate:
Page206Copy.jpg
In case you're wondering about 1959 Pan serial numbers beginning at 1001, as opposed to 1000, the info is from Herbert Wagner and I believe he is correct. Some other year Pans also start at 1001, although many do indeed start at 1000. Pans for 60, 62 and 64 start at either 2001 or 2000 and due to conflicting info 'm still trying to sort out those three years.

More info to follow. Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Speeding Big Twin

I have the 58-68 catalog but when it says rear chain oiler kit #63591-62 was used 54 to 64 that doesn't mean it was originally fitted for all those years. A -62 suffix on a given part would often indicate the part was first used for a 62 model but that scenario doesn't always apply. A 59 catalog would be one way to check what was originally fitted to your bike and #63591-62 wouldn't appear in a 59 catalogue.

If you have any questions regarding part number application please ask. I'm not saying I'll be able to answer them all, if you have any, but I'll take a shot.

I haven't run an O-ring rear chain for a long time but if you go that route you may need to check clearance with your inner primary.

For future reference here's a picture of a rear chain oiler off the oil pump and you'll notice both part numbers have a -54 suffix although it says for late-50 and up. If you run a whitewall you probably won't want the oiler but if you do, please check its application regarding 1959. Eric
H-Dchainoiler.jpg
Speeding Big Twin

Perry, thanks for posting those instructions and a picture of the kit. I haven't seen that before and although I won't be installing one it's always good to see these things for real. Eric
neilw
1991 HD springer
1991 BMW 75RT.

Post by neilw »

You guys ... unbeleivable..many thanks!! I see how it all works now and I even spotted the little little hole for the rear chasin oiler in the primary case in the book .Mine doesnt have the hole ,but easy to make if I go that way..Those drawings were great .Thanks to everyone who contributed..Neil

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”