Sumping Help!

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Jamiem753
Inactive member
Bikes: 1949 Panhead
1949 Pan-shovel
1985 Ironhead Sportster chopper

Sumping Help!

Post by Jamiem753 »

I guys I got a 1949 pan that sumps after a few days to a week after sitting.it dumps oil out of the breather all over the driveway. It has a band new original style oil pump and I replaced the check ball and sping twice. Does anyone have any other ideas to what could causing this its driving me crazy.
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Re: Sumping Help!

Post by james »

What do you mean by brand new original style?
Did it leak out before the brand new original style?
Usually it's caused by the ball not seating properly.
Dirt, imperfection in the ball or seat.
Take a closer look at your oil pump assembly style.

jim
please be seated
Jamiem753
Inactive member
1949 Pan-shovel

Post by Jamiem753 »

what i mean is it is not an s&s its an original replacement and its brand new and i checked the check ball and cleaned the seat. my question is what other things can cause sumping other than the check ball?
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

Wow. Where in the world did you get a brand new Harley Davidson oil pump for a '49 pan ?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Steve, V-Twin has replica pumps Page 1385 in the 05 catalog, 420.00 bucks. Who knows if they work well...Mike
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Not to be mean, but that's what I'm getting at. They are NOT "original" and perhaps there in lies the problem.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Jamie,
Get a burnishing tool and use it. If burnishing the seats does not correct the problem then get another pump. And I'm not trying to be mean or sarcastic here either, if the check ball will not seat and seal properly then you will have to replace it.

My original "original" pump on my '49 will sump sometimes too, I blame it on dirt in the valve seat. I always put a little dish under it when I park it in the shop, just in case. It has been sitting since it was last driven on Christmas day and there were only a few drops in the dish the last time I looked. You can make a cheap little dish from the bottom of a 1 gallon windshield washer fluid jug, just cut off the bottom inch or so, they slide right under the back end of the primary cover.

mike
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Jamiem573!

Yours sounds like it fills much faster than even a bad sump valve.

I still have a very bad memory of a '49 where somebody had a "better idea" and drilled out a gallery in the right case to bypass the sump valve entirely. It could only be determined with both pump and cam cover removed, and compressed air applied to trace each gallery. The fix was a simple set crew, but the cost in lost flat-rate was staggering.

Good luck,

....Cotten
Jamiem753
Inactive member
1949 Pan-shovel

Post by Jamiem753 »

hey steve you dont have to be a jerk off im on here to learn. I am sorry if i worded it wrong but theres no need to be sarcastic or mock me .
this is what i mean
http://www.jpcycles.com/search/productd ... esults=100

Its brand new and so is the check valve and spring I was just wondering if anything else can cause sumping and thanks for the reply cotten ill try that.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

jamie,

first, welcome to the forum. you are in the right place to get your questions answered by possibly the smartest old bike people on the web.

second, i do not think steve ment any harm in his comment so please don't take it that way.

third, after a while you will recognize that most of us here have a pretty dry sense of humor and everyone gets a little ribbing once in a while. staff included!

be patient, everyone here has had an odd ball problem with one of these old bikes at one time or another and most people will offer an honest opinion to try to help you out. you might get a little ribbing on the way but that is part of the territory!

enjoy!

john :D
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

John, you hit the nail on the head. There are diverse personalities on this site and I'm sure no one means any harm. (except for that 47 panhead). Everyone seems to share the same interest, keeping Panheads on the road.
But calling Steve a jerk off really cracked me up. Sorry Steve

I can't think of anything other than the oil pump or it's inner workings to cause oil to accumulate in the crank case drip by drip.
I wonder if you could test the oil pump off the motor with a mock setup, oil line and gravity feed the pump to see if it leaks past the ball and seat configuration.

Jim
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Jamiem753;

Sorry, poor choice of words on my part. I was trying to find a diplomatic way to suggest that the repro oil pump may not be the same quality as a genuine MoCo pump. As such, it could be part of the problem.

Never meant to insult or offend, we are all in the same boat here and we all want to support each other.

Peace.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

For $450.00 I would expect something that fit and worked correctly right out of the box. But, as Steve said, and most of us know from experience, the reproduction stuff is not always what we expect.

As I said earlier, I would try using a burnishing tool on the seats to see if it corrects the problem. Then I would follow Cotten's suggestions about checking the oil passages in the engine case. When I was sure that the engine itself was not the problem, and that all the pump holes and gasket holes aligned properly when the pump was mounted, I would send the pump back to Tedd and try a different one.

jmho
mike
Jamiem753
Inactive member
1949 Pan-shovel

Post by Jamiem753 »

hey guys thanks for the suggestion I am going to work on it today ill let you guys know if i find anything. sorry about calling you a jerk off steve i was just pissed cause the bike keeps dumping oil everywhere.
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

No worries. Keep plugin away at it and keep us in the loop. You'll get her solved.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”