Oil pump: no oil flow at all

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
tattoo mark
Bikes: 55fl,79flh,93flhtp

Oil pump: no oil flow at all

Post by tattoo mark »

i have a question i had a panhead mechanic[using that term lightly]install a original oil pump on my pan [had a s&s cast] after 7'tenths of a mile oil light came on and there was no oil flow at all [nada] any ideas? he kind of blamed me said when i picked it up everything was working,wondering what did i do to it?i hope my top end didn't fry i shut the bike down as soon as i saw the light come on.i started it again for 30 seconds to see no oil returning at all.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: oil pump

Post by steve_wood »

I would take it back to him and explain that you didn't do anything to the engine or oil pump. Tell him that while you understand that not all things on these old bikes can be warrantied like the new ones, the simple installation of an oil pump should absolutely be warrantied; especially in your case where you drove less than one mile.

Be polite and respectfull, but if he says no, he isn't a pro and you don't want him to touch your bike ever again. Chalk it up to experience and move on.

If you don't get satisfaction from him, start making plans for your own examination. Check the knowledge base, but off the top of my head i'd look real carefully at the oil lines and filter. Drain the oil and check inside the tank for blockages or debris. If all else fails, remove the oil pump and look for broke or displaced keys.

Let us know how you make out!
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

If this guy didn't do it right the first time, what makes ya think he'll do it right the second time? Replacing an oil pump is a procedure not to be given to just anybody that calls himself a qualified mechanic. The wrong gaskets for example, have cooked more than one engine. One must pay particular attention to details when dealing with oil pumps and their gaskets. Good luck....bosheff
tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

Bosheff wrote:If this guy didn't do it right the first time, what makes ya think he'll do it right the second time? Replacing an oil pump is a procedure not to be given to just anybody that calls himself a qualified mechanic. The wrong gaskets for example, have cooked more than one engine. One must pay particular attention to details when dealing with oil pumps and their gaskets. Good luck....bosheff
well this guy owns 8 pans! but i have my doubts all he works on is older bikes i think he thinks i am a money bag,when he gets it done again my question to him will be is so what went wrong? his answer i'm sure will be he fixed the key way my answer will be i may look stupid its only the clothes i wear! if i blow the motor up u'll be responsible i can't wait i have had enough of the so called mechanics around here i should have done it myself........... i paid him way to much
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

Next time do yer homework and do it yerself. Even if ya gotta spend a bunch a time researchin the project out, you'll have the knowledge, and if ya got ?'s ya got this site to help ya out. And on top of that you'll have the satisfaction of doin it yerself, not to mention the knowledge that you will always have....bosheff
tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

i dropped the bike off to this mechanic on monday,he called me today and told me there was nothing wrong with my oil pump said oil was flowing,etc.i asked him what he did he said nothing!everything is fine?i told him there was no movemonet or flowing in that tank at all how could it be fixed?i'm not sure if he fixed it and didn't want to tell me or could one of those keys break and hook back again with the edges temporairly until the motor gets hot or high revs to come apart again?i could use some input from everyone.i'm starting to think i must be crazy,and will be in panhead h-ll 4ever.TM :cry:
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

It's a tough spot to call a mechanic out based on a problem that doesn't show up when they take another look at it without doing anything further. If it were me I would go over what happened originally in full detail with him again and then have him go over in full detail how he confirmed everything was ok. Then I'd have him go over in full detail what you should do if it appears to be happening again to spot check it again yourself before they take another look at it. The only other option would be to tear the oil pump down to see what might be going on (if anything).
tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

but my question also is if he didn't do anything to the oil pump how did it fix itself? what would cause no oil flow and now all is fine?
biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k »

The answer is: it can't fix itself. And most likely it didn't fix itself. My guess is that the mechanic put the "goes-in" and the "goes-out" oil lines on backwards. That would cause no return or, I should say would cause the return path through the input of the tank which might make it difficult to see any return flow......and would be VERY embarassing to admit for any mechanic. Another thing that might have happened is that the oil return may have been blocked by a bit of gasket or sealant and decided to let loose as soon as you got it back to him. But, the bottom line is that there is NO WAY that a problem with the oil pump will fix itself.
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

Do you know for sure that the oil is returnin to the tank?....bosheff
tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

the answer yes the lines match up feed,return and vent.i am going to get the bike tommorrow ,i think the guy is full of it,reason i didn't want to do it from the first place was the s and s on it !!worried about a drilled hole in the case.i will pull the return line to the tank while the bike is running,see this so called flow ?i doubt he knows alot.i'm sorry i'm a lot pissed i sent him a runner now who knows,he told me he had trouble starting the bike prior to all this i started it on one kick hot or cold now shes a pig! he told me he checked the float funny the float was off and really floating in the bowl
tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

Bosheff wrote:Do you know for sure that the oil is returnin to the tank?....bosheff
find out tommorrow when i pull the return line on it running,i would almost bet this guy clipped the wire so theres no oil light!
tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

I went to get my bike yesterday,when i got there the bike was running i checked oil flow inside the tank it all of a sudden had oil flow!i asked the mechanic 4 times while i was there what had happened to it and never got a straight answer,so i guess it was something he did wrong the first time corrected it and did't want to be embrassed,i did ride the bike when i got it home he must have tweaked a little on the carb the bike was running better then it did couple of days back.i will be keeping a close eye and ears open still on the pump.GUYS I WANT TO SAY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
old52pan
Inactive member
Bikes: 49 pan and a 52 pan project

Post by old52pan »

Mark, glad to see you finally have some oil flow, It can be extremely difficult from this end of the spectrum to diagnose troubles as yours. I have been wrenching on bikes for 40 years and would never trust another to work on my old pans. I would say the best way to learn is to build one from scratch. I am currently building a 49 pan franken bike in a wishbone frame. Building a motor complete with rebuiding and truing flywheels to lacing your own wheels with your head in a manual will not only provide you with knowledge to do your own repairs down the road,it will give you a sense of pride when showing off a ride you built. Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tattoo mark

Post by tattoo mark »

panman1960 very nice bike! latest on oil pump i rode the bike some about 5 miles,when i first start the bike the oil light is not on as it gets hot the light comes on at a idle,rev motor light goes out that is not troubling me to much btw there is a constant flow of oil i am checking return line ,what is bothering me the oil light is on at 20-25 miles a hour rev motor light goes out,it has a new oil pressure switch on it i am wondering if the switch is not working right or the pressure spring in pump is weak? on my shovels i would get my pressure up by putting a small nut ground down on top of the spring to bump my pressure up.i am running 60 wgt oil.i checked the flow in the tank while motor is hot and i know oil is returning,any ideas?

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”