Panhead Oil Tank Return line fitting Question

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
rozemab
Bikes: 1958 Duo Glide

Panhead Oil Tank Return line fitting Question

Post by rozemab »

For my filter equipped panhead, what are the threads on the nipple that protrudes from the oil tank? Currently there is an adapter (~1.4 inches) long that the oil sleeve nut attaches to complete the oil circuit.

I believe the fitting pn (HD) is 63524-50 , 1951-64 Oil Filter Line Connector . I trying to figure out the female threads in the fititng.

thanks, Brian
rozemab

Re: Panhead Oil Tank Return line fitting Question

Post by rozemab »

I circled the nipple I am trying to figure out. is it a 1/4 NPT with 37 or 45 degree taper?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

That's a repop tank, have you checked that it even fits in the frame yet?
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

yes, it is installed and piped in the frame.
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

I believe they are HD specific threads. They are not AN or SAE flare fittings.
I have had no luck finding a hose and fitting shop that can provide fittings for the HD oil lines.
Be careful of some of the repop steel lines as I have purchased some that were SAE flares and did not seal properly. I think Russell used to carry some of the hoses.
Doug
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Try www.denniscorso.com

Tom what identifies the tank as aftermarket?
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

panz4ever wrote:Try http://www.denniscorso.com

Tom what identifies the tank as aftermarket?
The nipples are a funky shape, welded instead of swedged, and stick out farther than OEM.

But I should add that besides that, the Taiwan tanks are a pretty good copy.
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

I did contact Dennis Corso and asked about the adapter (pn listed above) for the oil tank. It is a 9/16in x 24 SAE (straight) thread. Very unusual TPI but taps and dies are available from mcmaster-carr.

I'm experimenting with JIC stainless steel hoses (3/8in) with -6 JIC swivel connectors. The 1/4in pipe thread adapters are readily available but the pesky oil tank nipples were a challenge.

I *think* I can modify an existing female to male -6 JIC adapter by re-drilling and tapping the female end to a 9/16x24 thread.....

Have a tap on order and a machinist at work who loves panheads ! I'll post pictures of the results soon.
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

Good eye Tom. Made me go look at mine to make sure it is OEM.

Roz, ordered a couple of parts from Dennis Corso and had no problems with fitment.

recently found out about mcmaster-carr. they are a very good source for stuff you cannot normally find/obtain.
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

An update on my progress,

purchased this JIC to female adapter from mcmastercarr.com
pn 50695K173, zinc plated steel fitting, $2.10 US.

Using an end mill my machinist opened up the 1/4in NPT threaded female to 17/32inch (clearance hole) for the 9/16-24 tap. For a steel fitting there is still plenty of wall left (~.125in) for the fine thread. I'm currently painting the hex flats gloss black (not worth chrome plating) to blend with the oil bag (tank).

Why switch at all? In another thread I asked about the spin-on filter adapter sold by J&P Cycles for using a std HD 3in diameter oil filter. I was tired of farking with the factory canister with leaks from the bottom acorn nut and the 2^n combination of flat/rubber/o-ring/custom washers and seals only to find it leaking soon afterward. >: (

The factory steel tubes would need to modified or replaced. Instead I decided to go with braided stainless steel tubing with JIC -6 fittings, thus the need for a custom fitting at the bag. Quarter inch NPT fittings are plentiful but a 9/16-24 fitting is not.

A chrome plated spin-on filter with/without a nut welded to the end looked fine and is very functional. Taking the switch-over one more step, I found this new stainless steel billet spin-on filter assembly from pegasus performance engineering (http://www.pegasusperf.com/store/page8.html) and its shape is so close to the factory body and tapered end that I had to have it. It is a new product that has a <25 micron stainless steel element-filter that is reusable (wash it out) and installed it again. So I guess even a 51 year panhead can go 'green' a little too.

At the apex of the taper is a 1/2in drive socket for installation and removal.

I'll post pictures soon of the actual setup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

Some pictures of the installation of the spin-on filter on my 1958 pan. And yes I have an original oil tank.

The feed line (comes into the right hand side of the filter) might be ~1inch too long but it doesn't strain the tube at the bends.

The feed line is 13inches while the return line is 11 inches. There is about 1/4inch space between the return line and the seat springs and the oil tank. I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't move under vibration.

In one of the pictures I circled the adapter I made (described above) to mate the -6 JIC connector to the oil tank.

Hopefully the "cone shaped" filter will be in tomorrow for me to test fit it to the oil filter mount.

enjoy! Brian
rozemab

Post by rozemab »

The billet oil filter assembly arrived today. I took some pictures of it along side a regular spin-on filter to show the differences etc. I like the billet filter simply because it looks very close to the OEM "cone" filter.

Brian

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”