Tappet screen asmbly

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
62wild1
Bikes: 1962 panhead, 1999 Wideglide, 2008 Ultra Classic and a few other brands.

Tappet screen asmbly

Post by 62wild1 »

Anyone running without the tappet screen assembly installed? I hear it is not necessary to have but it probably would really help keeping the top end clean in case of destruction. Probably a stupid question but I would like to see just how many go without. Seems like the only available are from Tiawan, go figure...............
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Tappet screen asmbly

Post by Cotten »

62Wild1!

If you are not running hydraulic lifters, the screen loses its importance.

If you are, find one with the ball check in it.

...Cotten
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

i have been running mine for years with out the screen and with the ball check.

works fine. however, i do have an oil filter on the bike.

john
62wild1

Post by 62wild1 »

Thanks. I ordered the kit from NOS Parts so I'll se what comes in the package.
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

I got mine from NOS too, it came complete with screen, 2 cork gaskets, spring and ball.

My '54 had it in there but I wanted to replace it anyway. I also run an oil filter
62wild1

Post by 62wild1 »

Well I received my kit and as far as I understand you place the 2 gaskets in the hole. The the screen goes into the metal strainer or whatever it is called then that is placed into the hole on top of the gaskets. Then the ball goes on top of the strainer then the spring fits into the screw in cap and pushes down on the ball which is sitting on top of the strainer. Did I get it right?
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Wasn't there some one who put the two gaskets in ,that came with the kit & it wasn't right and had oiling problems with the upper end . Not sure where I read that ,thought it was here. Does that ring a bell with some one ?
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Post by Ripley/Fla »

I don't know how to link it, but 62Wild1 should go back to "Case Oil Screen Bit Me" Last post Tues Feb 17th, 2009.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

62wild1

Post by 62wild1 »

Well now I'm a little worried. I paid a buttload of $ to get my heads done perfect at Headhog and don't want to screw them up. I guess I'll try it without any internals until I can figure out what will work best. The engine is new and I have a new magnetic oil drain plug so hopefully it will catch all the nasty stuff that the oil filter may pass.
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

Keep in mine my son thinks I’m an orangutan as I continually wonder in circles looking for tools and my coffee cup.

These are questions as I actually know very little.

I read the tech section all the time great job on that!.

58, solid lifters. Low comp, original pump, nothing fancy. I have the ball check but no screen. Its pretty disconcerting to watch the oil pressure fall like it does as the motor warms up. Seems to me if I install a screen it will raise the pressure by reducing the amount going to the top end. I can’t help but wonder, what is the intended differential pressure across this screen? I have good oil flow back to the tank. Too much oil going to the top? Is it the ball check + the screen = intended oil flow to the top. Who's tried it both ways?

Regards!
49bones
Bikes: 1957 FL. Was very original but is now sold.
58 PanShovel

Post by 49bones »

Huck wrote:Keep in mine my son thinks I’m an orangutan as I continually wonder in circles looking for tools and my coffee cup.

These are questions as I actually know very little.

I read the tech section all the time great job on that!.

58, solid lifters. Low comp, original pump, nothing fancy. I have the ball check but no screen. Its pretty disconcerting to watch the oil pressure fall like it does as the motor warms up. Seems to me if I install a screen it will raise the pressure by reducing the amount going to the top end. I can’t help but wonder, what is the intended differential pressure across this screen? I have good oil flow back to the tank. Too much oil going to the top? Is it the ball check + the screen = intended oil flow to the top. Who's tried it both ways?

Regards!

What was the outcome with this, i have just stripped mine off and cleaned it out with some petrol, there were a few little metal filings in the bottom, nothing too weird but its good that they didn't end up in a lifter.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”