oil pump wsitch and light.

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
panhead55
Inactive member

oil pump wsitch and light.

Post by panhead55 »

hello everyone. when riding my panhead a few months ago my oil light is always on. i change out the switch and it seem to work fine meaning...sitting a traffic light the oil lamp would pulsate a bit but when i took off the lamp would go out. now the lamp is always on and i looked im my oil tank and the return is working. i guess my question is, is the switch bad and do i have to replace it often. any help is appreciated. thanks.

-billy
VT

Re: oil pump wsitch and light.

Post by VT »

Original oil pump? Don't worry about it. It's the worn pump shaft holes (races) in the pump body. Non-repairable. Snap the throttle off occasionally when you're riding it, which will force oil up to the rocker arms.
biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k »

What type of oil pump do you have? ... stock or aftermarket?
Do you have your idle set low?
Does the continual oil light go off after you take off from a stop or is it continually on at riding speeds?

Oil lamps will often come on with OEM oil pumps at idle but should go out after you start to take off as the oil pressure will rise enough to trip the switch. If your oil lamp stays on contiually when riding, you have a problem. It could be the switch. I have a oil pressure gauge which I think is always better than having a light. If the light is on at idle and your oil pressure is below 10 psi, then that's pretty normal. However, when you are riding and your pressure gauge indicates 20 psi or greater and your oil lamp is still on....then you have a problem.
panhead55
Inactive member

Post by panhead55 »

my oil pump is original. the light stays on at riding speeds. i was told it was a bad switch or my bike you have burned up by now if i had no oil going to the motor. it's probably a bad switch.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

you are riding and your pressure gauge indicates 20 psi or greater and your oil lamp is still on....then you have a problem.
..and the problem, in this case, would be the switch.(or the gauge)
biker_k
Bikes: 48 chop, 60 FL, 91 FXSTS

Post by biker_k »

panhead55 wrote:my oil pump is original. the light stays on at riding speeds. i was told it was a bad switch or my bike you have burned up by now if i had no oil going to the motor. it's probably a bad switch.

Yup!

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”