Re Changing ALL the oil

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
rootwad
Inactive member
Bikes: '59 Pan/Shovel FLH
'06 Road King FLHR

Re Changing ALL the oil

Post by rootwad »

Thanks for the input.
I drained the oil bag, pulled the oil line and started the bike for a short time (very short). Managed to spray oil all over my 06 Road King, as it sprayed a tad more than anticipated, ooops. But I DID manage to get MOST of the old oil out, which is a good thing. I found some metal shaving in the drain pan, and so what I intend to do is to run it a bit, then drain the oil again, run it through a screen, fine mesh, and do that a couple times. My oil filter is an after-market deal that sits back just forward of the rear axle, but maybe I will try (next time) putting fresh oil in the oil bag, drop the oil line, start it, and wait for fresh oil to appear.
I have heard, forget from where, that when a motor sits for a while with unchanged oil, the innards begin to pit. Any truth to this? This bike sat for almost 5 yrs when I bought it. I plan to tear it down next winter, when I have a bit more cash flow (They are extending the light rail, and doing a big tunnel here in Seattle: I am a union pipelayer so the paychecks should be good), but right now is not an option.
Anyway, thanks for the help.
Eric
aka rootwad
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Re: Re Changing ALL the oil

Post by mbskeam »

aahh yes....
the RTA Puget sounds very own ........
BOONDOGGLE
10 years, billion plus spent and for what....25 miles or so of light rail....

not a slam against you....
just the incompetent bureaucrats.....

yes the oil can turn acidic when it sits, the best way to think about this is it pits the bearings and races. I have not had this happen, but have seen other pieces of machinery have some of this going on.....
metal shavings? are they magnet?
gaskets are cheap and our time is free.....
until they can TAX this....LOL
VT

Re: Re Changing ALL the oil

Post by VT »

Next oil change, disconnect the supply line t the bottom of the tank, cap it with a pinched flare line and an old hex cap. Fill it with kerosene and swish it around, dump the kerosene. Repeat about 5 times. Or, take the tank off and do the same thing. You can dance around in your sock feet that way - in front of the stereo. Count out some 5/16 nuts and put them in the tank and shake some more. There is a ledge inside the tanks where grit hides. Get it gone. Count the nuts when you remove them.
Leave the sump alone.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”