Re Oil in the sump: Changing ALL the oil

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
rootwad
Inactive member
Bikes: '59 Pan/Shovel FLH
'06 Road King FLHR

Re Oil in the sump: Changing ALL the oil

Post by rootwad »

Re Oil in the sump:
This may sound really stupid, but is there a way to get ALL the oil out of the motor short of taking it off the frame? The bottom end of my bike is a '59 FLH and it was sitting for several years. I drained the oil, put in fresh, ran it a bit, and the oil seems kinda gritty. I would like to get all fresh in without doing anything drastic. I am going to change it again but would like to only do so once or twice, 50 wt being 5 bucks a quart. Any ideas?
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Re: Re Oil in the sump: Changing ALL the oil

Post by 59Panman »

rootwad,

I changed my oil back in October by accident!

My oil tank return line came off on my ride and dumped 4 quarts down the side of my bike. My buddy rode back to the car parts store and brought me motor oil. Reconnected line and put in 4 new quarts on the side of the road to get me home.

Disconnect the return line and direct it into a container and start the bike until all the oil stops coming out. This will get all the old oil out and then refill with new oil. Other than that, I don't believe there is any other way as I have asked this question myself. See changing oil thread posted by me.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

I do this on my twincam, just loosen the filter a turn, start the bike and when the oil comes out clean, stop it and tighten the filter....
I have sumped gas into the bottom end (dont ask) LOL....
just unhooked the return, started bike, you could see when the oil came out clean.....
if you change your oil regularly, you dont need to do this....
unless it becomes contaminated some how....LOL
doc308
Bikes: 1969 XLH
2016 Softail Slim

Post by doc308 »

In case you're not aware of this, there is a small (7/16" ?) drain plug in the lower engine case, located below the engine sprocket shaft /primary cover. This is true of very early pan motors and probably with your year as well.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I don't think I'd mess with the case plug, for one thing there isn't much clearance to remove it plus one crossthread and yer screwed...Mike

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”