Oil pressure question

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
panomania
Inactive member

Oil pressure question

Post by panomania »

Hey from Alabama. My 48 has always flickered the oil light at low rpm's, but recently I have replaced the cylinders and reworked the heads and now when the motor is hot, the light will stay on untill I'm middleways into 2nd gear! I havent fiddled with the oil pump or changed my oil type. And yes it has plenty of oil. thanks for the help,

Panomania
52Chopper

Re: Oil pressure question

Post by 52Chopper »

Howdy from Chicago, my 52 stock does this all the time. There are a few older post on this board about this. I just ignore the light and check my gauge once in awhile. This old Pans have very little oil pressue as you may know.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

A lot of you (if anyone reads these forums at all) are probably scratching your chins wondering how Pans survive so long without significant oil pressure.
I lost a toolbag on a sidestreet once, within pushing distance from the shop. Figuring that the bag was worth more than another rebuild on my tired, tired, old rat '65 stroker, I proceeded to idle around the town for about an hour with the light on, looking everwhere for that bag of tools. Never found the bag, and the motor lasted a few more seasons.
Why didn't it toast?
Its because pressure isn't flow.

You can have lotsa flow at zero (atmospheric) pressure.
You can have a pegged pressure gauge, but no flow (that's why its pegged!)

I tell people to toss their pressure gauges because it takes their eyes off the road for no good reason.
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict »

Hi panomania, if you change your cylinder and put new rings, a little "overheating" happens during the first miles due to the friction, if you don't have external oiling lines to your heads the oil temperature climb a little more and this f.... light will be "on" all the time. In fact, it doesn't matter as the same may happens during summer ride in hot countries. When i do a job on my cylinders, I allways check the oil passage by cranking until oil appears, then put my heads back (anyway, a clogged passage would'nt have any influence wether the light in on or off). Unless I drive at night, i've never been able to see these gen/oil lights at day light, so, like Cotten says I get concentrated to what's front of me, it's a full job in my country ;D
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Amen Cotten. Gauges=paranoia.

But I do check my oil flow from time to time. Here's how to do it. Loosen up the pushrod covers and adjust the valves. Then wait till it gets dark and you are in a hurry to finish the job. Have someone (preferably your impatient Lady) hold a weak flashlight while you secure the pushrod covers. Then next morning hop on and crank her off. Admire the reduced tappet noise as oil squirts all over the motor, floor, and your jeans from that rod cover you didnt get the retainer in quite right.

Did that yesterday and I'm happy to report that the oil flow is right up there.

King
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

Way to go , King! I love "How to do it" -tips with stuff everyone of us has around the house! I.e. flashlights, impatient ladies and so on... Wink Did you use your instant-made-metal-wire-hook-hanger from the D-ring to keep the pushrod cover lifted all the way up? Good to hear you got your oil flow alright.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Hi Dereborn

No the bent wire is too high tech for me. I just lasso the bottom of the rod cover with a rubber band and hang the other end off a D ring stud. Then I can mess with the adjustor nuts and still pull the cover down to check the "shake" in the rod up top.

Har de bra.

King
Ente

Post by Ente »

Cotton take up a very good point. It's the oil doing the lubrication, the pressure will just help keep the engine cold and clean. So the day I do not see any new oil leaking from the engine it could be a failure, cuz never in my wildest imagination would I think that I got a completely tight engine.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”