Oil Tank Return Line

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Oil Tank Return Line

Post by 59Panman »

I was on a ride this weekend to Sonora, CA up to Dardanelle in the Sierras; got a little cool! On the way back down when we stopped for gas in Twaine Harte, I noticed that my oil filter bracket broke at the connection to the frame. I put a bungee cord on the oil filter to stabilize it. Everything was ok until we got down the hill and I notice the oil light on. Well my return line had slipped out of the nut and drained the oil tank all down the side of my bike and saddle bag. I guess the extra movement caused the nut to loosen a bit which caused the line to come out.

My main question and concern is, I didn't notice the oil light on for a 1/3 of a mile or so. I did not notice any tappet noise nor did the engine sound or have any problem before I shut it down. I had to put 10/40 oil in to get it home. How much abuse can the engine take under these circumstances? I never got above 35-40 miles and hour since the problem started about 100 ft. before I reached a stop sign and about a 1/3 of a mile after. The engine sounds fine and I don't notice any difference except for the use of the thinner oil which I will drain and put my regular 60 wt. in.

I am also looking for the support bracket in Cadmium but can't seem to locate one either from NOS or Old Dude which won't have them for a couple of weeks. Any other places I can try?

Thanks for any input or encouragement as I hope I didn't damage anything :?:
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: Oil Tank Return Line

Post by VintageTwin »

No problem. The oil had already lubed the motor and got re-routed to the ground on it's way back to the tank. If you still had oil in your tank, all you did was create a total loss oil system for your motor. It you'd have had problems the motor would have seized.
V-Twin has those cad,plate oil brackets. I just cut a new one up to make a '58 style bracket for my voltage regulated rigid Pan.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

When I shut the motor off, I lifted the seat and took off the dip stick and there was no oil left in the tank. This is what concerns me!
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

You may be OK with your motor. Usually, the first thing to run dry are the pistons cousing scored walls and if you keep it running enough from there, the pistons would sieze er up. Is your compression normal? Not smoking blue ttrace? If comp is good, its unlikely the walls a scored. They may have a scatch or two but soon would disapear as you run it further after fixing up the oil tank and filter. You could also pull the plugs and check the upper walls if it'l help ya to get some sleep...Joe
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I have evidence that the lower end cansuffer before the pistons (attached: Thanx to an "Atomic Jet" MC member).

My own experience with blowing a filter and all the oil was back in the mid '80s when silicone was all the rage. I was out of state on a run in July heat when all of the silicone decomposed and re-coagulated in the filter, rocker arms, etc.

The filter blew off from pressure, and at interstate speeds, I cannot be certain how long it ran dry, but the squeaking let me know something was wrong!

It squeaked for another couple of weeks after I got home.

The motor finally let go in '96 when the head of a valve came off. Strokers are short-lived, I guess.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

I have not pulled the plugs nor inspected the cylinders as of yet. Just gave her a good wash. The motor sounds as she did before the incident no smoking either.

Do any of you run a different oil line setup or did you stick with the stock arrangement? I would like to possibly look into a different setup but avoid ugly hose clamps. Or, should I just check the connections before during and after my ride?

Thanks!
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Anahh....I bet your motor is fine. Pull the plugs and look into the vacant cylinders (pistons on downstroke). Problem is that without a (pencil eraser size) t.v. snake (I bet harbor freight has one) (Ridgid Tool® makes one now, or General Tool [might be called a Gen-Eye®, w/1/4" camera head]) you won't be able to see the back and front areas of the cylinder, only the (left) side of the cylinder interior with the mini-mag® and 3" magnifying glass.
I would definitely go with the original oil lines. Just keep them tight with an 11/16 open end. If these oil nuts are overtightened, they can thin-out the tube flare, but you'd really have to git-down on it with a wrench to ruin a flare. Those steel lines are tough.

I wish they'd make electric pre-shave (skin bracer) that smelled like cosmoline. Call it OHV.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Mark
I wouldn’t worry. It sounds like you caught the problem before any damage. I had a similar happening out in Nevada in the 70’s. A bunch of us were jamming down interstate 80 when about 20 miles short of Elko my oil light came on. It transpired that one of the rubber lines I had spliced into my oil pump return line to hook up an oil cooler had slipped off. Like your experience, the oil bag was dry. One of the bros raced off to the Elko Airport and brought back Shell 50 wt Aero oil and we proceeded on to Salt Lake City and back to Reno with no problems. I rebuilt the motor about a year later and saw no signs of damage just normal wear and tear. BTW I canned the oil cooler and have used solid stock oil lines, including the filter lines, since.

My strangest oil story concerns two prospectors of my acquaintance during my Australian days. Both swore on a case of XXXX that this story is true. They were fosicking in the southeast corner of the Northern Territory and punctured the oil sump on their Land Rover. No worries, they had a plug kit that sealed it up alright but then discovered they had no oil (G’wan Mate I thought you packed it! X 2). As they were about 120 miles from the nearest source of oil, in mighty dry country, hiking out was not a good option . Here’s what they did. They hunted Goannas for several days and rendered the oil out of them till they got around 3 quarts, put the Goanna oil in the Rover, and drove to the nearest cattle station. They claimed the oil did the trick and they arrived with no damage to the Rover.

Cotten
What a plaque of honor. But I’m surprised you didn’t just dress the skirt of the dinged piston and reinstall them (LOL).

King
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

Thanks for the replies. I bought a new filter support bracket along with oil line rubber seals from Bills Custom Cycles today.

Curious,

Does someone here know how long it will take the engine to pump the 3 1/2 qt.'s of oil from the tank through the engine and back out of the return line :roll:
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Oz,

The variables are far too many, you could never establish the exact rate that any individual engine cycles the contents of the oil tank.

I have to agree with all the comments already given. The fact that you shut the engine down (it didn't sieze or shut itself down), and it got you home, however many miles that was, probably says enough. You caught it in time and prevented any catasrophic damage, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Personally, I would be pleased just knowing that both the supply and the scavenger pumps were circulating that much oil through my engine. It has been stated many times that flow is far more important than pressure, it certainly sounds like you have good flow. Fix your oil lines, keep the oil tank full, and ride it!

jmho

mike
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

Thanks,

Everyone's comments and input have made me feel much better. Other than this little mishap, she has got me back home from many rides with no issues at all. My friends are amazed at how great she looks and sounds. Now they all want an old Pan.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”