nuts & bolts& oil pump

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
49er
Bikes: 49 el chopper

nuts & bolts& oil pump

Post by 49er »

Hi all where can I get 1/4 24 thread bolts and nuts and maybe a tap for cutting threads? also my oilpump. the tapered needle goes all the way in no locknut on it. some body drove a screw in the hole when ya take the pump off,where the oil goes to the needle. I got it out but now im thinking of putting it back and drilling a small hole in it to act like the needle. ive got bits down to about 9 or 13 thou then 20s and 30 thousands of an inch. start small and remove pump and redrill untill flow is right. any suggestions?
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Re: nuts & bolts& oil pump

Post by Ripley/Fla »

Try McMaster-Carr at www.mcmaster.com for taps. No deals but they have what you need and ship promptly.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

49er,

Colony makes all the hardware in various finishes; cad, parkerized, chrome, etc. You can get a complete set of oil pump mounting hardware all in one package if you want. The 1/4 x 24 hardware; nuts, bolts, etc., are also available separately from most of the vendors in the links from this forum; NOS Parts, or 45 Parts Depot are reliable and quick, but there are many others as well. They also sell the 1/4 x 24 taps and dies.

If that screw in your chain oiler passage is threaded in there I would try to find a longer one of the same diameter, dress the end so that it is long enough to prevent the adjustment needle from bottoming out, drill it and then lap a taper into the exposed end so that it will provide a new seat for the adjustment needle. It sounds like the previous butcher mechanic left you quite a project.

good luck!

mike
49er
Bikes: 49 el chopper

Post by 49er »

Thanks much, now I can surely get bolts, and the tip on oil pump sounds very good . a machinest could make a new, longer needle.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”