Synthetic Oils

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
stroker96
Inactive member
Bikes: Several Including a 48 FL WIP

Synthetic Oils

Post by stroker96 »

For those who use Synthetic, what is your favorite Brand, and wt of synthetic? After break in how often do you change your oil?

Warren
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Synthetic Oils

Post by fourthgear »

Amsoil 60 # in the summer and 20-50 # when the chill is on , Moble 1 Vtwin is ok too and Valoline has a new 20-50 out now too. As far as break in , well thats a new can of worms , on a newly rebuilt motor , I change the oil/filter(dino oil ,50# ) right after the first heat cycle and retorque . Then after 100-200 miles ,same dino oil and then I go to reg. changing cycles with Syn.. You will here a lot of diff. answers and they are all probably right . IMO
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Synthetic Oils

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Stroker,
Like fourthgear said, you're going to get a different answer from everyone you ask. We've had this discussion many times and the debate usually ends in a tie.

The bottom line on oil, no matter what you use, is pretty simple. There are only 2 rules: keep it clean and keep it full.

Your absolute worst enemy in the lubrication circuit is water. Oil that is contaminated with water, from any source, does more damage to an engine than you can imagine. The most common source of water in the oil is from condensation, a natural byproduct of combustion, and almost always the result of short hops that do not allow the entire oil supply to heat up to the point where all the moisture will evaporate and flash out of the system. Some local climates and most modern fuels will increase the amount of condensation which occurs, just watch the tailpipe on all the cars in front of you on a cool morning; drip, drip, drip.........

The way you use the bike should help you decide on the correct oil. If you ride every day, far enough to get everything hot and keep it that way for a few miles, and you don't have excessive leaks, then run the full synthetic, I'll back fourthgear on his choice of Amzoil 60 weight. If you only ride the bike once in a while, and only take short rides, stick with the dino oil and change it as often as you feel it needs it.

I've said it before, and I think Cotten has mentioned it also; clean oil is better than dirty oil and dirty oil is better than no oil. refer to the 2 rules above.

And, don't forget the transmission!, it thrives on clean oil too.

mike

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”