Trail of Shame

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Trail of Shame

Post by King »

Hi All

I doubt there is a Guinness World Record for Sumping but if there was I would apply. I let my 51FL sit for about 2.5 weeks and then tried to start it. It made a couple of chumpa-chumpa sounds but after about five minutes I gave up kicking and pushed it off the hill. It started but acted somewhat subdued for about a half mile then ran normally. I took it out for a 30 minute ride then went back to the garage. I was greeted by about a half pint puddle of oil on the floor and a trail of oil down the driveway.

For grins I decided to see how for this “trail of shame" went. For 2.7 miles it was a constant line with two good puddles at stop signs. Then it went intermittent but you didn't need to be an Aboriginal Tracker to follow the dots and dashes. At 3.4 miles another stop sign puddle and a solid stream to 3.7 miles at which point it petered out.

I estimate that in the 2.5 weeks it sumped 2 quarts of oil. This is after a very competent and diligent mechanic ball lapped the check valve seat and installed a new ball and spring. I suspect the seat is totally shot as the amount of oil that should seep past the lap marks would not amount to two quarts in such as short time. For now I'm getting a Taiwan Tedd oil delivery line and putting a shut off valve in it. This winter I’m pulling the motor down and will have the seat checked and burnished.

My question is, if that doesn't cure it, can the seat be recut or is the oil pump body finished?

King
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Trail of Shame

Post by Cotten »

King!

You do not have to wait for a teardown to burnish the ball check.

You don't even have to drain the oil!

....Cotten
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: Trail of Shame

Post by awander »

i HAD MUCH THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME WHEN MY TRANNY WAS CHEWING UP THE BUSHING BETWEEN THE INPUT AND OUTPUT SHAFT.

It would dump most of the oil when I was turning, though.

That was about 4 months ago, and I still can see the oil stains at a couple of corners.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”