broken pan!!!!!!

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
54panman
Inactive member

broken pan!!!!!!

Post by 54panman »

hi all its been awhile.... heres the deal. my pan has been awsome since i got the buggs worked out but i havent started my pan in about two weeks, and i just went out there primed it, kicked it and it ran about 5 sec before it stalled out! no biggy right, kick it again it would start (normal)... but i had went in the house to get the phone came out 2 min later and it had pissed a quart of oil!!!!!!!!!!! so ing. off i kicked it twice more and confirmed, & its coming out of the breather hose! what gives? any ideas???? thanks panman
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Sumping. Nautral. Start it up and let it bleed, mate. Watch the oil being returned to the inside of the tank. Custom tank? Look for bubbles or ripples in the oil surface. When it stops blasting oil., turn the motor off and fill up the tank. It's an oil pump check ball thing. Ride it more :idea:
54panman
Inactive member

Post by 54panman »

hey pal so it normal after having sat... for it to piss a qaurt or more of oil like this out of the breather/hose deal in the pic!!!! its sat a week-10 before never had this but its been two week or so
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Yep... It's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. There is a chance that what ever stuck the check ball with pass thru on its own. If not then reburnishing of the check ball seat will be in order.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

To puke a quart of oil after only two weeks is pretty severe sumping.

The severity is compounded by the sprocket shaft seale for the beltdrive, allowing the cases to fill completely instead of bleeding out the slinger. The dangers of such sumping are not only fouled plugs and excessive carbon build-up in the combustion chamber, but hydraulic forces from starting the motor can eventually blow out base gaskets and case sealer.

The worst I have heard of is a rear cylinder tearing its base studs from the cases. Not to mention riders who have fallen from oil on their rear tire.

It takes about fifteen minutes to burnish the ball check, right on the bike. Such rapid sumping suggests however, that the ball check seat may have been badly damaged, probably by a heavy hand with a drift.

....Cotten

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”