Oil filters and coolers for 1954

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Rider54

Oil filters and coolers for 1954

Post by Rider54 »

Love this site and forum. Just picked up a '54 on a 58' frame. Was wanting opinions on adding an oil filter and oil cooler. I had one on my 56' but don't know if it was really needed. They just make good sense in the grand sceem of things but want to make sure I am doing the right thing by adding them and if so who is making the best units right now. (Been out of the loop for 20 years.) Things have sure changed. Thanks for any help given. - Rider
57JOHND
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Oil filters and coolers for 1954

Post by 57JOHND »

Rider 54,

I believe they are good things. On filters, they were developed for a good reason. I figure they are kinda like kidneys. They keep all the crap out of the bloodstream. On types, although I run a early "canister" type I will be converting to a cartridge type shortly since "quality" replacement elements are getting hard to come by. A good spin on cant be beat. On coolers there may be some debate. If you really think about it they dont work when you are sitting for one reason or another and thats when you need them to. They will shed the heat much quicker once you get moving. I understand oil NEEDS to run at 175 deg MIN in order to vaporize any moisture, So...lets say you ride mostly in 80 deg weather with a BIG cooler (and no thermostat) will the oil ever get there? I ride in the ugliest of summer weather---100+deg with 80-90 pct humidity (sometimes) so I run a cooler, as oil temp can skyrocket to 250-275 in a very short period of time in bad traffic. As far as types I have always run Lockharts.
Im sure there are lots of other good ones out there but many of them, appear at least, to be more concerned with how they look than how they perform. I do not run a thermostat. My opinion is its more hose connections to possibly fail, whadda you do if it goes bad in the middle of nowhere and oil temp goes thermonuclear? I run Model 700s and cover them with duct tape in the winter. During spring and fall I have to keep half of it covered so the durn thing will warm up. I watch oil temp and try to keep the cover adjusted accordingly. Dont know if it helps or not. Hope So.

John
57Kicker

Post by 57Kicker »

oil coolers..........not such a problem in the great white north.....filters,....not a bad idea
CHEERS!
53rigidrider
Inactive member

Post by 53rigidrider »

I had an original external oil filter on my '53. My fiber seals wore out so often, I removed it and went to changing my oil every 1000 miles. I also got a magnetic plug for the oil bag.
Termite
Inactive member

Post by Termite »

I have this filter but not mounted. Its the darn mounting bracket. The tab on frame is the same thread size on bracket and it has a bend on it. So i thought i needed to drill out the tab to get it to fit. Not to mention removing a lot of stuff. Might wait till winter to do it. EH unless im not getting the big picture.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

H Termite

Do not drill out the tab. Brackets are a problem as the ones for the ridgid frame and the Duo-Glide are different. So before starting check and be sure you have the right bracket. If you try to force the wrong one in it can crimp your breather line. Also to note is that with most kits you have to swap the positions of the return line and the breather line.

Good Luck

King

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”