Primary chain lubrication / oil return

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
vkk
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Primary chain lubrication / oil return

Post by vkk »

Hi out there,

I need a little help with the lubrication of my '65 Electra Glide Panhead primary chain
From the oil pump I can regulate the amount of oil for my prim. chain. There's a liitle tube (left side from chain tensioning) that drops the oil now BESIDE the chain.
There is a suction point as well inside the primary (right side from chain tensioning at about same level)
Is there supposed to be a suction pipe or so to suck the oil from the primary bottom. Now my clutch gets totally oiled up!! Does anybody have a picture or a link or partsnumber where I could look into to solve this problem?

Thanks!
Vincent
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Primary chain lubrication / oil return

Post by Cotten »

Vincent!

Your description of the 'suction pipe' sounds like a later breather.
The return is the nipple at the bottom rear of the inner primary, facing the rear chain. Oil is drawn though a channel in the outer cover to a gallery in the inner.

The oilpump screw is barely adjustable, as its point is truncated to allow a metered amount through even if closed. I normally bottom it and then back off half a turn. Inspection through the footpeg bracket port will tell you after a few miles if there is sufficient lube. Over-lubeing only carries more crap back into the engine.

(A magnetic drain plug is a good idea, cleaned with every oilchange.)

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”