Oil pressure sending unit: I decided to test mine

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Oil pressure sending unit: I decided to test mine

Post by fourthgear »

There was someone who had a couple of bad sending units in a row here not to long back , so I decided to test mine. Well my unit , I do not think is org. but is probably a repo. , I checked continuity and with it off of the oil pump it did not have continuity as it should have with no pressure on it ( it should be a closed switch with no oil pressure on it , meaning the oil ind. light would be on, when a few pounds of oil pressure it should open the switch and the light would go out . it would be an normally closed type switch ) I took the hex fitting off the diaphragm switch , the hex fitting just has a screen in it and a copperish diaphragm could be seen and since I knew this switch was open I took a pin punch and lightly pushed up on it a couple times and it seemed to be working OK. I put the hex fitting back on and tested the sending unit and it works like it should . I used my pneumatic testing equipment to pressurize the switch about a dozen times and it still works every time. Now I'm not saying I'm going to trust this switch but I might . Just thought you people would like to know this little tidbit of info.
Kuda
Bikes: *

Re: Oil pressure sending unit

Post by Kuda »

Yeah, that was me. Two brand new Accel units, both tested fine before install, worked fine first time I started it, but subsequently died after the first time. Really weird. I found a 40 year old used original unit at a swap meet, cleaned it up and it tested good. So that's what I'm using now...

-Kuda
'49 FL
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Oil pressure sending unit

Post by fourthgear »

kuda
I am going to use this one because I can't get it not to work any more. It looked like some stuff came out when I cleaned it with electronic spray cleaner . Maybe thats all thats was wrong with this one . I'll know to check it out if doesn't come on with the ign. turned on. I just can't see the things burning out, there isn't a load on them, but ya never know!

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”