Primary chain oiler: turning off

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
2dogs
Inactive member
Bikes: 1963 FL motor in 1965 frame with an assembly of other old and replica parts.

Primary chain oiler: turning off

Post by 2dogs »

I've got an new S&S oil pump on a 1963 motor. I thought I could turn the primary chain oiler off by turning clockwise a screw on the outboard side of the pump. I turned it all the way in.

However, while trying to start the scoot this afternoon (unsuccessfully) the primary chain oiler was working overtime. I had the outer primary cover off and watched it do an unfortunately superb job of oiling the chain during the 150 or so kicks I applied to the attempt.
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Re: Primary chain oiler: turning off

Post by DuoDave »

You have turned off the chain oiler. I suspect your bike has been sitting idle for some time. The oil from the tank has drained into your crankcase. This is called wet sumping. There is a ball bearing that is supposed to act as an anti drain valve, but they often stick or become worn.As you kick the bike over the excess oil is being pumped out of the breather into the primary case. Once you get the bike started you will have quite an impressive puddle forming under the bike, but it will stop once the oil is cleared from your cases. You may be able to reseat the anti drain ball bearing by smacking it with a plastic hammer, or you may have to replace it if a ridge has worn on it. Remember and reset your chain oiler before you start riding.
2dogs
Inactive member
Bikes: 1963 FL motor in 1965 frame with an assembly of other old and replica parts.

Post by 2dogs »

DuoDave: The motor had not been started since last fall before it got too cold to work in the garage. I backed the oiler flow screw out a bit and then screwed back in up against the jam nut this morning and took a peek at the check ball. It continued to drip oil out during my morning kick-start exercises.

I finally regapped the points and got it to run. Ran like shit: Fast idle and rough. It ran great the first time I got it started last fall, after setting up the pushrods and timing and getting the new S&S carb set. Now it runs like shit. Guess I'll have to go through the whole pushrod adjustment and timing thing again.

The good news is the oil stopped dripping out onto the chain and from there to the floor. Guess it was the "wet sump" condition you refered to.

Lots of tools I've got but seldom the needed one. An $89 Sears ATV lift I've got and glad to have it. Indoor Parking for my FXDWG and the FL is only attained by forcing my wife to pull her Buick up too close to the back wall and parking my truck way too close to her Buick. In other words, I have parking and a tiny, cramped workspace at the price of a grumpy wife.

Thanks, guys, for your advice and suggestions.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

2dogs, not knowing how you prepared it for it's winter storage. I would wonder about the carb & if you drained it dry ?? & You are of course using "fresh gas" I assume. If your lifters are solids unlikely they need a re-adjust from sitting. Hydraulics they could use a squirt of WD-40, to free up any oil grunge in the lifter bodies.
Least that is what I do.

The wet-sumping is common & an easy fix. It doesn't hurt anything, rather an annoyance!! Maybe the ol' lady's carpet, if it's under it. ;)
Even after you [gently] turn off the chain oiler it will still drip out everything in the oil passage way after the screw to the pipe.."No Biggie"
Got a friend that has a bobber that he rarely rides [too many bikes] & before he starts it, he places a pan under it & catches all the 'puked oil' & puts it back in the oil bag. Doesn't care to have it fixed properly. Since it only sees limited action about once a year..
2dogs
Inactive member

Post by 2dogs »

Billy: The front chain oiler drip seems to have dried up now. It's the pushrods I was thinking might need readjusting. Timing was off a bit so it was just a thought to check my original work from last year.

I drained the tank last year completely and took it off for painting. Fresh gas this time, the local bilge they call Unleaded Plus 87 octane. I'll get it, whatever it is. Maybe the S&S super E Shorty needs another look.

Thanks
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

2dogs, I would be doing the same thing. Checking everything...
Remove ALL doubt!! She'll be fine.. ;)

Sometimes even draining the carby leaves a small bit of our crap/gas & turns to like a varnish clogging some small passageway, driving us nuts :
krazyloop

Post by krazyloop »

I have done this in the past: 1. open the oiler up, like 3 - 4 turns open and ride it for a few miles to clean the junk off the check ball seat then adjust it properly---if it works withoug excessive oiling you are finished; 2) if not then lap a new check ball seat. To do this you have to remove the pump from the bike and disassemble it. Wash the pump body thoroughly. Get two new check balls and solder some welding rod about 8 inches long onto one of the new balls as if the rod is going directly into the center of the ball. Wrap the pump body in a rag and then put it in a vise to hold it with the ball opening facing up. Get some fine lapping compound, wipe a small amount on the ball/rod you just made, drop it in the hole and lap away rolling the rod between the palms of your hands. When you have a smoothly polished circle around the new ball/rod, and if you have good eyes you may be able to see the same on the seat of the pump body, you are done. Wash the pump body out thoroughly, drop in the other new ball, put it all back together, and off you go.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Krazyloop, there is an easier way to 'lap a check ball seat' Burnish it. No messy compound to clean-up & you don'y have to remove the pump.
Cotten turned me on to it a long time ago & it works great! I wish I had a picture of mine, that I made.
It' simple to make.

I'll try to find a pic.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Billy,
Burnishing, is this what Cotten called smearing the seat? I'd be interested to see what one looks like. Is there a concern that the threads in the pump body will be damaged when doing this?
krazy loop

Post by krazy loop »

Billy, I used to do what you suggest but lapping seemed to last longer for me.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

PanPal-
Here are the Burnisher tools, I made from this picture from Cotten, one is a stone to shape the seat & remove any scars/scratches. & the other is the finisher, that smears the seat..
Since you control the pressure, I have NOT ever had a problem hurting the threads..

Since making these, I have not used my Aerosharp seat cutter.. http://www.aerosharp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Click on "skip Flash Intro" & then click on the Red words Harley Davidson to see the line-up of precision cutters & reamers..

krazyloop-
What ever works best for you..This does for me.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”