Oil tank pressure

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
haggis
Bikes: *

Oil tank pressure

Post by haggis »

Description: If the tank is receiving pressure from the crank vent...where is it going?

Guys,
Was thinking today (which is a big change for me) about the oil tank.I've got the side fill horseshoe with the rubber bung temp gauge. If the tank is receiving pressure from the crank vent...where is it going?Should the tank vent ? One more reason for me to drink more to get to sleep! Haggis.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Oil tank pressure

Post by fourthgear »

The oil tank vents into the gear case not the other way . Your crank vent , vents into the primary ( chain drive ) or out to atmosphere( road or rear chain ) if running a belt drive. At least thats they way it should . Is your cap popping out ? I have seen some Shovels do that , the rubber bung cap wears out and you should wipe any oil off the cap and the fill spout to increase friction to help hold it in there. Shovels also have a tee in the vent line that goes to the primary, but thats a diff. system.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Oil tank pressure

Post by Panacea »

That fitting above the oil pump just goes into the gearcase so any extra pressure can escape back to the oil tank. Or it could help the oil feed by slightly pressurizing the oil tank?..MW

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”