Oil pump & #vin numbers (new cases)

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
panomania
Inactive member

Oil pump & #vin numbers (new cases)

Post by panomania »

Description: Any suggestions on what kind of pump to use and is it really needed?

Hey guys, I ordered a set of V-Twins (shop ready) replica cases this morning due to my 48 right side being unrepairable. Im thinking of upgrading my oil pump if needed. Now Im using a knuckle style pump. Any suggestions on what kind of pump to use and is it really needed?
Also, whats involved in getting my vin numbers changed? thanks, pano
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Re: Oil pump & #vin numbers (new cases)

Post by panfreak »

Hey Pano,
Go to http://www.heavydutycycles.com and read the article under shovel tech part 2. it explains in far greater detail than I can type here the advantages of updating to an aluminum bodied pump. Now if I could just figure out how to attach a hyperlink...
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

try a V-Twin replica iron pump (12-9931) 1950-67. I'm putting one (12-1947) 1941-49 on my Knuckle.
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by weezeo »

I ride a 56 and am upgrading to an aluminum body pump and from what I know you can only use th 68 - 72 shovel pump with a little drilling it feeds the bottom end rite nicely................ 1956FLH
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

If the V-twin cases have the blank boss on the left case, you can stamp original number there and not sweat it. Some states are much tougher than others with VIN #. you may need to also re-title with the motor serial number added if Teds serializes the case set. You'll need the MSO which comes with the cases. (I've built several customs, and re-built bikes with salvage titles here in FL) They have gotten really crazy about that in the last few years, it's much better if you have a title with the original HD motor number on it, and no other serialized parts.

One more thing, here in FL now, if you use any used parts which are a part of frame, engine, transmission, front fork or swingarm in a rebuild (with branded title, or custom build) you must have the VIN # from the source bike on the receipt for the part, or you won't get a title or registration. That cost me a bunch of money on my last rebuilt wreck, I had to buy several parts new, even though I had the right ones on the shelf, but no source VIN. (they required before and after pics to help verify parts which were replaced)
The rat bastids!
panomania
Inactive member

Post by panomania »

Hey big Mike, thats my concern. Ive had people tell me that if the numbers dont look completly factory, it could cause serious problems. As in the pd hauling your bike to the station untill you could prove that everthing is legit. Will I need to carry the paperwork(mso) with me all the time now that Ive had to replace my cases? I live in Alabama and the authorities arnt as anal as they are in Florida. However I come to Florida several times a year to rallies and so forth. I would like to avoid the hassle all together. Thanks, pano
BigMike
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

Alabama is a great state as far as DMV goes. If your bike has a neck number, and it's on the registration, that is the end of it in 99% of the cases. In the remaining 1% well, a copy of MSO, a copy of the title and the busted out section of left case with serial number will be the official proof. (if you have room to carry it) that doesn't mean that you won't get a hassle. The key to not having the impound hassle start is totally in your attitude and demeanor. as long as you aren't under the influence of anything, don't have absurdly tall apes, painfully loud exhaust, or a chip on your shoulder, you won't have any problems. The only people who get the hassle bring it upon themselves, at least here in South FL.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Stamping your own numbers is a felony in most states, if not all of them.

You might think it is exercising your freedom, but it not only robs the original manufacturer, re-stamping is an open door for thieves. Will your bikes be next?

Legitmate VINS can only be stamped by either the manufacturer, or under the auspices of your State.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

All the aftermarket cases come with their own VIN serial numbers. Cool... their there. Show the cops. On the V-Twin cases they have the OE style VIN plate between the cylinders on the left side. Select stamp numerals that are the same size as Harleys. Stamp 59FL2350 on the plate and it looks original. Cops pull you over, you have the Mfgrs. VIN number on the case, usually near the relay boss, or where the relay boss isn't on STD Pan cases. Cops won't care how many numbers you have on your cases. Just show them the ones they want to see. No crime. No probelm.
BigMike
64 FLH
Various partials....

Post by BigMike »

By stamping the replacement cases you are NOT stamping a VIN. The re-stamp laws, etc are to prevent the "washing" of hot parts by altering existing VIN # or by resurrecting a vehicle which has been issued a certificate of destruction (total loss, wreck, theft, in anyway such that vehicle will never be used on a public highway). Putting your motor serial # onto a set of cases, is only illegal if it is an attempt to conceal the true origin of the part. Having the MSO is critical. As Cotten pointed out, different states have different regulations concerning replacement parts, registration and titles. Check with your DMV office or Highway Patrol up front. Believe it or not, they actually do want to help you do things right, even if the administrative process is convoluted. (btw, don't ever stamp to match without a valid MSO, if you use second hand parts get receipts for everything, and if it is the only numbered part, get the title or transferrable registration, the number on the left case will become your number. if you can, get the DMV to run the number before you close the deal)
That all being said, once you have your title and registration in hand cops will rarely give you a hassle. If you have given them a reason, they will bust your balls even if riding a new Honda, directly from the dealership with 100 miles on it. It's the attitude gentlemen.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Technically, it very hard to stamp cases legally by your own hand. Nearly always it must be done under the auspices of the authorities (meaning: either they do it, or they allow a licensed shop to do it.)

If you use barnyard stamps, you will suffer for it.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”