Very leaky 1963 Panhead

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
willburst
Inactive member

Very leaky 1963 Panhead

Post by willburst »

Hello All

I'm new to my bike and this site. I had the bike serviced and was told oil had to leak on the chain to keep it lubed, but it's leaking a lot. Any suggests would be appreciated,thank you.
hd74

Re: Very leaky 1963 Panhead

Post by hd74 »

wilburst:
Adjust your oil screw on the oil pump. Whatever you have been told the primary does not have to be dripping in oil. You do not want the "oil snake" on the drive way to tell where you have been. To adjust, back off the locking screw and then slowly turn the screw in until it seats, then back it off slightly. cinch up the locking nut and try it.

hd74
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Willburst

Try the drill that HD74 suggested but if it continues pumping a lot of oil out through the breather tube it could be a hung up check valve in the oil pump. That used to happen to me when I first kicked her over after a long set. The cure has been to place a wood block on the oil pump body and tap (gently) with a ball peen.

King
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Yep.
That might cure it good.
Otherwise, it you have a lathe handy,. it is a simple matter to make a burnisher to restore the ballcheck seating surface.
Using an old cap (or a whacked-off 5/8"-18 bolt), centerdrill it and tap it for a long hardened 5/16"-24 bolt that you can centerdrill and silver-solder a ball upon (after it has been threaded though the cap, of course!)
This can be used to smudge the seat back to conformity with some good success.
Some come out incredibly perfect and won't sump all winter,.. but some pumps must be ground flat with a stone to get blemishes out.

Post me direct for pics of the device so you can copy it, and try your luck.
hd74

Post by hd74 »

Cotten I am impressed. Everyone should take note that here is a fellow that "when stumped" makes his own tools. I still use a pinion gear remover that I fashion over 20 years ago from a piece of piece, a few beers, a buzz box welder and a grinder.

hd74
willburst
Inactive member

Post by willburst »

THANK YOU for all the suggestions!!

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”