Oil filter question

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
kell

Oil filter question

Post by kell »

Description: Can I put the filter in the feed line, between the bottom outlet of the oil tank and the oil pump?

My pan didn't have an oil filter when I bought it, so I got a remote oil filter mount and fabricated a bracket for it. It sits between the transmission and the oil pump. Where I have it mounted, the top of the oil filter is about level with the tank outlet. I used 3/8" fittings on the oil filter mount to match the size of the existing fittings and hoses. The filter thread is the common 3/4" 16 tpi, so I can choose from any one of a hundred filters.
My question: Can I put the filter in the feed line, between the bottom outlet of the oil tank and the oil pump? I read somewhere that the oil filter should go in the scavenger line. That's where my oil cooler is hooked up.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Oil filter question

Post by Cotten »

Never restrict the feed.
And beware that a filter and a cooler are a restriction on the return as well.
I assume the filter housing has a by-pass?

Good luck.
kell

Re: Oil filter question

Post by kell »

No it doesn't. And speaking of bypasses; I'm actually not so sure which of the two lines that go to the top of the tank is from the scavenger and which is from the oil pump bypass. I just assumed that the guy who built the bike put the cooler on the scavenger. Can anyone please straighten me out about which oil pump outlet comes from the scavenger and which is the pressure bypass?

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”