oil lines

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
creative creations

oil lines

Post by creative creations »

I want to make oil lines out of 1/4 inch copper i know usually they are 3/8 but all fittings are necked down to 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch pipe thread . copper is less pourous than rubber line so it should flow better ? i know its all about volume not psi but why shouldnt this work any info would be great thanks Rob
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

why copper?

john
RADICAL RIDES
Inactive member

Post by RADICAL RIDES »

copper looks good and old school looking
dagored
Inactive member
Bikes: Knuckle

Post by dagored »

I would think twice before I reduced the feed line that far. 3/8 o.d. copp[er is readily available.
JKE
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Solid copper will "work harden", crystalize and crack at the stress points a lot faster than steel in the same application. If you have constant heat ups and cool downs, vibration, and less than perfect alignment at the fittings the copper will fail.

I agree that it looks pretty when its all shined up but I wouldn't put it on a bike that I intended to ride very much.

mike
dagored
Inactive member

Post by dagored »

Indian used copper for it's oil lines for many years. I believe thatI would use the soft stuff. K ?
JKE
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Why not have your steel lines copper plated or electro plated . They have some cool powder coats in copper color, but not sure how they would hold up. As said above copper metal lines ,even soft, will deteriorate very rapidly with vibration.
dagored
Inactive member

Post by dagored »

I have used soft copper for the equalizer line between tanks on my Knucklehead for the past thirty years without having a leak.
JKE
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

I ran all polished 3/8 copper oil lines for 18 years. No cracks. Just make sure they dont vibrate at high speed. I took them off 3 years ago to custom shape new chrome ones from sink water tubes(pics in the Garage) 3K miles so far .All those years people kept saying "that wont work"!
jarhead

Post by jarhead »

Here is a pic of my bike just before completion. Just fired up yesterday. No leaks yet . Crossing my fingers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

Fantastic! Congratulations on a great project. That rear fender support is a thing of beauty.

Kent
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

I don't think any one said you could not use copper lines , some of us just don't think ( from experience ) its worth the risk. I work with copper lines every day and yes repair or replace them on a regular basis ( damage from vibration , is right up there for causes for repair). If that's what you want to use , go for it , they do have an appeal to me when highly polished , like bling ( chrome ), I like it too.
wreck744

copper tubeing

Post by wreck744 »

if you loop the soft copper the loop will take up most of the vibration. where as a straight shot, say from the engine to a tight mounted oil bag would'nt have any give and would have to give some where.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”