Outside oilers/s&s gear cover

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
RADICAL RIDES
Inactive member

Outside oilers/s&s gear cover

Post by RADICAL RIDES »

i need a little help ? i have a 49 pan cases with 3-5/8 s&s cyl. std heads i bought s&s billet timing cover and there is no provisions for outside oilers and i need to drill a hole for oil line fitting where do i drill the hole in the cover? i think it needs to be in the rear upper section between the mounting bolts in the cavity that feeds the cam bushing? any help or pictures would be appreciated thanks
wrecks74

topend oil

Post by wrecks74 »

you can tee off where the oil pressure sending unit screws into the oil pump.
RADICAL RIDES
Inactive member

outside oilers

Post by RADICAL RIDES »

Just wanted to thankyou for the info 1st pan head ive built from scratch and sometimes i question myself mostly work on shovel and evo
RADICAL RIDES
Inactive member

oil lines

Post by RADICAL RIDES »

I want to make oil lines out of copper tubing and i was wondering if i used 1/4 copper tubing would that be ok ? I know its all about volume not psi but all oil line fittings are necked down from3/8 to 1/4 or 1/8 inch pipe thread . and copper tubing is less pourous than rubber hose so flow should be faster.
flatside
Bikes: '67 FLH custom

Post by flatside »

I used 3/16 "bundy tubing" on the external oilers with my STD heads (brake line tubing) I feel copper tube will be prone to vibration fatigue and cracking if you decide to use it
Tiny
Pantony
Inactive member
Bikes: 1948

Post by Pantony »

Being a hydraulic guy and a tube bender, I'll tell you if it isn't a lube line on a stationary machine don't use copper, it will fatige. when I made up my remote oil gauges, I used stainless steel hydraulic line and Triple-lok Parker fittings. it is all burnished rather dull so it looks original.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”