Cloth Braided Oil Line Conversion

Sourcing fittings to switch to rubber oil lines.

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Motocooney
Bikes: '48 Panhead 61"

Cloth Braided Oil Line Conversion

Post by Motocooney »

Hey guys! Working on a '48 El. Stock oil tank and oil pump.

I'm looking to ditch the hard lines and switch to braided cloth covered hose with clamps.

I see that Colony makes these adapter fittings for the oil tank connections.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/740-22 ... -tube-ends

Does anyone have a lead on similar type barb/hose fittings for the connections at the oil pump?

Is it something I can find at the hardware store? Or is the thread pitch goofy HD stuff?
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Cloth Braided Oil Line Conversion

Post by RooDog »

The fittings on both the oil pump and the engine case for the balance pipe are all 1/8 NPT, pipe thread, and you can use common hose barbs, Or just cut off an inch or two of your steel lines and clamp the hoses to them.... RooDog
Motocooney

Post by Motocooney »

RooDog wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:14 pm The fittings on both the oil pump and the engine case for the balance pipe are all 1/8 NPT, pipe thread, and you can use common hose barbs, Or just cut off an inch or two of your steel lines and clamp the hoses to them.... RooDog
Beauty! Thx man for the quick answer!

I like this site🤘🤘

I would like chromed brass fittings.

Also, I don't actually have the stock hard lines. Been using braided stainless lines with the appropriate fittings on them but one of the flares is cracked and they don't fit great. So I'm moving on👍

The bike had no oil filter so been shopping around and all the kits I like have hose barb fittings so I figured I might as well just make the switch. I think black braided lines will have a cleaner look (even though I don't love the look of hose clamps).
Motocooney

Post by Motocooney »

RooDog wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:14 pm The fittings on both the oil pump and the engine case for the balance pipe are all 1/8 NPT, pipe thread, and you can use common hose barbs, Or just cut off an inch or two of your steel lines and clamp the hoses to them.... RooDog
Ha, I just realized that the braided lines I'm using DO have the exact part that Colony is selling!! Not sure how I missed that!

RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Here is a nice oil filter kit on eBay available in either black or chrome, attaches with the front engine mounting bolts. I modded one for my Project Panny.....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-OIL-FILT ... Sw83dbg-yd
RooDog
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Man that's some powerful stuff your ingesting to miss those fittings, but no harm, no foul. Observation on these puppies will save you time, and dinero. Feel it, smell it, and maybe if your brave enough taste it. Alraton
Motocooney wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:07 pm
Ha, I just realized that the braided lines I'm using DO have the exact part that Colony is selling!! Not sure how I missed that!
Motocooney

Post by Motocooney »

Buddhahoodvatoloco wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:13 pm Man that's some powerful stuff your ingesting to miss those fittings, but no harm, no foul. Observation on these puppies will save you time, and dinero. Feel it, smell it, and maybe if your brave enough taste it. Alraton
Motocooney wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:07 pm
Ha, the lines have been in a box for 3 months since I tore this thing down. Been busy observing other things!!

Oil lines were pretty far down on the list when I began. Just now getting to them.

Originally I had planned on 'working with what I had' but I've gotten pretty good at hitting the 'buy it now' button if you catch my drift😉

I am all about using some ingenuity with old parts, man.
Motocooney

Post by Motocooney »

RooDog wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:47 pm Here is a nice oil filter kit on eBay available in either black or chrome, attaches with the front engine mounting bolts. I modded one for my Project Panny.....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-OIL-FILT ... Sw83dbg-yd
RooDog
Thx, man👍 Where did you mount it?

I'm having a hard time with the looks of a spin on filter setup. Although it seems way easier to mess with.

Was looking at this
https://m.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-OUTSIDE-C ... SwNgNbgbwk
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

The modern spin-on filter from eBay mounts below the front frame crass member with the engine mounting bolts. It set kinda low so I made a Z bracket from two pieces of angle iron to move the filter up and forward. It still tucks in tight and is easy to service. I chose the black one and it is not too obtrusive.....
PS: I cant get my pics to post.... RooDog
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1937 EL
1940 U

Tripping on mounting oil filter, looks like your frame is stock, mount a stock filter and be done with, well not exactly, but close.
Motocooney

Post by Motocooney »

Buddhahoodvatoloco wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:08 pm Tripping on mounting oil filter, looks like your frame is stock, mount a stock filter and be done with, well not exactly, but close.
That's kinda where I'm leaning. Aesthetically, it's my preference. I don't like how that other kit sticks it out front.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
1937 EL
1940 U

Easiest route, actually, but each his own.
Motocooney wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:22 pm
Buddhahoodvatoloco wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:08 pm Tripping on mounting oil filter, looks like your frame is stock, mount a stock filter and be done with, well not exactly, but close.
That's kinda where I'm leaning. Aesthetically, it's my preference. I don't like how that other kit sticks it out front.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab »

you can also look into JP catalogue and find a filter that looks and mounts similar to stock , but uses a spin -on filter with EVO part number …..comes with barbed fittings . sorry cant add picture s . file too large
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

file too large
please try again or mail it to me.
Motocooney

Post by Motocooney »

blewcrab wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:01 pm you can also look into JP catalogue and find a filter that looks and mounts similar to stock , but uses a spin -on filter with EVO part number …..comes with barbed fittings . sorry cant add picture s . file too large
Hmm, got a link? That sounds like what I'm looking for.

I'm kinda set on soft lines so the barbed fittings are must but I love the stock look. Thx!!

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”