Oil pump studs

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Oil pump studs

Post by Andygears »

OK my mismatched, bitsa bike got me again! The 49 date code right case had a '65 oil pump on it from PO. I found a nice 4?-51 oil pump, got the feed gear with the top hat, installed new Colony studs and the early body, fits fine but the shaft is out of line with the case bushing. Try to slide the shaft in with no gears, instant bind! Old '65 pump fits, gears turn free?? The case has had welding, but up between the jugs years ago. The stud holes in both pumps measure .275 and the studs .250.

I would really like to use the early pump but I can't open up the shaft hole in the pump? Do I open up the stud holes? Or turn down the studs?

Thanks

Andygears
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Oil pump studs

Post by RUBONE »

Not sure what to tell you. They should be a direct crossover. New studs straight and not bent? Two piece pump or three piece pump? Is the pump genuine H-D? Hard to tell much with no pics...
Andygears

Post by Andygears »

New studs that I just installed. The old '65 pump ran on chrome Allen bolts for years which was not right, but the holes aren't egged out. I'll try tomorrow to post pics.

Thanks

Andygears
Andygears

Post by Andygears »

OK, Rubone when you asked if my new studs were bent, it got me thinking. No, they weren't bent but I went back after it and pulled the 3 bottom studs, 2 near the shaft and outside one up. Fit the pump, then the shaft, wiggle and seemed free enough. So.... With the shaft and gears running free, I tightened the two top short studs with nuts & washers, stIll free, and tried the stud inside left, screwed in free, the upper right, still free, then lower right, started but tight, double nuts screwed in tight and bound up the shaft. Easy fix :) : turned about .006 off the middle, unthreaded part in my little lathe. And now it screwed in easily and did not move the body.

Great, problem solved right? OK let's try the cover on with a gasket and tighten that. Pushed the cover on by hand, no nuts, bound up! Looking at the old shaft and the new aftermarket shaft, in the pump, discovered that the end, past the circlip groove was slightly longer and did not have much chamfer or radius on the end and was hitting the cover

So I cured one problem and revealed another. Back to the lathe with the shaft for minor clearancing.

In fitting this motor, and reading from the site, someone advised fitting each piece in order assuring that no binding occurred. That is great advise and surely overlooked when passing off your build to a stranger who has no personal interest in Your Motor.

Thanks for a great site.

Andygears
Andygears

Post by Andygears »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Ok here's pictures, not much to see, the older, new to me pump is on the right. The later, '65-'67 pump on left has a small radial groove in the scavange bore but worked well and will be for sale in the future with both idle gears.

Andygears
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”