1960 FL crankcase breather/primary oiler

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
docmel

1960 FL crankcase breather/primary oiler

Post by docmel »

Folks: Ill be running a open belt primary: Question is what do you folks do with the crankcase breather/primary oiler fitting?
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Re: 1960 FL crankcase breather/primary oiler

Post by james »

I don't recommend hacking up the original breather tube, these old parts are getting harder to find plus they are made better than the aftermarket parts.
I would get a reproduction breather and cut off the bend, basically making the breather a 90 degree angle. Press on aprox 4 - 5 inches of plastic tubing and point it towards the ground on a 45 degree angle back or straight back to blow some oil vapor onto the trans sprocket and oil the chain.
Your choice but if you are going to point it towards the ground, turn off the oiler at the pump. Save the original breather, you may change your mind some day or a friend with a chain primary may need it.

Cheers
Jim M
6hds
Bikes: 2012flhtc,1979fxef,1977flh,1960flh,1971Hodaka100B+,1972 HD SS350 Sprint 67 T120R, 67 A65L

Post by 6hds »

Docmel & James!
I'm trying to get a mental visual on what is described here and its a different picture on my 60FLH. My breather is a long bolt like a case bolt in an oversize hole. The nut is by the oil pump and the other end has a baffle and cover about 1 1/2" in diameter. A rubber cap with a tube covers it and goes into a hole on the inner primary. To do what you want would take a little creative thinking and some parts from the local hardware store to re-direct the crankcase mist to the area of the rear chain. You can adjust the oil at the pump you get at the chain. You'll also have to get a sprocket shaft bearing cup retainer with a seal in it (if it doesn't already have one) to keep oil mist from exiting there. Hope this helps, Gary
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

Earlier breathers use an L shaped tube and a dripper spout instead of the round baffle with rubber tit. The earlier breather is used with belt or open primary.
bangkokbob
Bikes: 94FLSTN
63FLH

Post by bangkokbob »

As larry said. Buy the earlier type breather and it is easy to attach a tube and vent it back out the inner primary case.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”