Ultima oil pump

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
Brave Dave
Bikes: 1983 Lowridef Twin Belt FXSB
1958 Panshovel Bobber

Ultima oil pump

Post by Brave Dave »

Does anyone know anything about the Ultimate Standard flow oil pump? I recently bought one for my 58 pan.
It did not come with any installation instructions and can't find any info on it on the Internet.
First of all is this a good pump? I know Ultimate has been around since 1972 and make a good engine.
I don't know about the oil pump. I know there are sone alterations that have to be made on pinheads to use after market oil pumps (like S&S and Sifton) but I can't find anything on Ultimate.

Does anyone know anything about installing these pumps on a Panhead?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Ultima oil pump

Post by 58flh »

Dave---I can say this much/--If the gaskets holes all line-up/Then I believe its a matter of ADJ. Rate of FLOW!.There Fast & will make a Pan run hot!/I wish I could help you more ,but its been a few yrs. since I messed with That Pump.They are Top-notch workmanship/Again With ALUM.-CYLs. & Forged piston set-ups ,guys love em!---Just remember thats a fast fedd & Return pump/not to good for a pan without some mods.--Im sure the Men will chime in & help you!----Respectfully----Richie
Brave Dave
1958 Panshovel Bobber

Post by Brave Dave »

58flh wrote:Dave---I can say this much/--If the gaskets holes all line-up/Then I believe its a matter of ADJ. Rate of FLOW!.There Fast & will make a Pan run hot!/I wish I could help you more ,but its been a few yrs. since I messed with That Pump.They are Top-notch workmanship/Again With ALUM.-CYLs. & Forged piston set-ups ,guys love em!---Just remember thats a fast fedd & Return pump/not to good for a pan without some mods.--Im sure the Men will chime in & help you!----Respectfully----Richie
Thanks Richie for your reply.
The Ultima pump I have is a standard flow not a high flow so I hope I won't have the problems associated with high flow pumps. My concern is are there any mods to be made to the pump or engine for it to function properly. With no installation instructions I have no idea if I'm installing it correctly. All the research I've done so far tells me I just need to be sure the gaskets I use are the correct ones and I should be good to go.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

DAVE----Take the gasket that came off ,or your new CORRECT one.& Make sure all the HOLES are there!/There might be a spoy that needs a .120???-hole drilled & the pump may not be able to be drilled there.Its been awhile but I remember the bike had outside oilers/& all the feeds/scavenge ports were in the pump.I do remember we had to slow the flowrate down ,cause the oil passed so fast it didn't have time to absorb the heat & carry it away.Besides yours is NEW--I would check with ULTIMA & make-sure it will work properly on your motor!.On the flipside ,nothings impossible ,but it must have all correct ports.Besides they also are a VERY well made pump!/I know many cone-shovels with upgrades like big strokers /Guys love the flowrate for these.----RICHIE
Brave Dave
1958 Panshovel Bobber

Post by Brave Dave »

58flh wrote:DAVE----Take the gasket that came off ,or your new CORRECT one.& Make sure all the HOLES are there!/There might be a spoy that needs a .120???-hole drilled & the pump may not be able to be drilled there.Its been awhile but I remember the bike had outside oilers/& all the feeds/scavenge ports were in the pump.I do remember we had to slow the flowrate down ,cause the oil passed so fast it didn't have time to absorb the heat & carry it away.Besides yours is NEW--I would check with ULTIMA & make-sure it will work properly on your motor!.On the flipside ,nothings impossible ,but it must have all correct ports.Besides they also are a VERY well made pump!/I know many cone-shovels with upgrades like big strokers /Guys love the flowrate for these.----RICHIE
Thanks Richie, that's great advice and I will do what you suggest. I have a Sifton hi volume pump on my 1983 FXSB and it works very well (maybe too well as it will frequently blow a little oil out the vent tube on cold start up). I have a question though, how do you slow down the flow rate on one of those pumps? I have never done that, I read the instructions that came with my Sifton pump (very similar to the Ultima) but I don't recall seeing anything about adjusting the flow rate. I have yet to remove the old oil pump from the 58 because I am about to do a top end job on it so I plan to do the pump at the same time. When I do remove the original oil pump I am going to disassemble it to find what is causing the low to no oil pressure problem I am having with it. I prefer to use the original pump if possible.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Dave---To slow the flowrate you change the return gear in the pump.Just like a HD/but guys speed the OEM pumps flow up slightly to clear the upper & gearcase back to tank. obviously the gear will be of diif. size & the Key is larger-NOT deeper in the shaft.That I remember because I grabbed the HD one & had about .125 to make-up.So the Key is slightly longer.I would ask ULTIMA about if just changing the 1-gear ratio is OK??-(I don't know!).The feed may just fill-up the tins & by just slowing the return /you gained nothing!.Ultima might say to change both or just the feed!/To me it makes sence to change BOTH for a even slower rate of flow.You need to talk to a TECH. from ULTIMA!---Theres also a plug that can be put into the feedhole that has a smaller hole for oil to pass thru.Again that to me is like placing your thumb on a hose for more pressure,so Momma can reach the further plants easier. :lol: .Tell ULTIMA what you have & need to do-(I think that would be best!)-Then you can School us on their Idea.You never know cause--It may just be EASIER & CHEAPER to sell the ULTIMA & get a OEM pump.That would take all the head-scratching out of the equation!.-/But IF your MILL is a CLOCK-CHASER I can see why you would want to run one.But after that 1/4-If its to be used on the street also/Theres your Dilema.IF THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE PLANING.Keep us informed & let us know what the final will be!-----Respectfully----RICHIE
Brave Dave
1958 Panshovel Bobber

Post by Brave Dave »

58flh wrote:Dave---To slow the flowrate you change the return gear in the pump.Just like a HD/but guys speed the OEM pumps flow up slightly to clear the upper & gearcase back to tank. obviously the gear will be of diif. size & the Key is larger-NOT deeper in the shaft.That I remember because I grabbed the HD one & had about .125 to make-up.So the Key is slightly longer.I would ask ULTIMA about if just changing the 1-gear ratio is OK??-(I don't know!).The feed may just fill-up the tins & by just slowing the return /you gained nothing!.Ultima might say to change both or just the feed!/To me it makes sence to change BOTH for a even slower rate of flow.You need to talk to a TECH. from ULTIMA!---Theres also a plug that can be put into the feedhole that has a smaller hole for oil to pass thru.Again that to me is like placing your thumb on a hose for more pressure,so Momma can reach the further plants easier. :lol: .Tell ULTIMA what you have & need to do-(I think that would be best!)-Then you can School us on their Idea.You never know cause--It may just be EASIER & CHEAPER to sell the ULTIMA & get a OEM pump.That would take all the head-scratching out of the equation!.-/But IF your MILL is a CLOCK-CHASER I can see why you would want to run one.But after that 1/4-If its to be used on the street also/Theres your Dilema.IF THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE PLANING.Keep us informed & let us know what the final will be!-----Respectfully----RICHIE
Thanks Richie, I'll keep you posted.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”