primary chain oiler

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
jade5557
Bikes: 59 panhead
60panhead

primary chain oiler

Post by jade5557 »

have a 59 pan I put togather that has a 67 and later oil pump on it so I need to rig something up to my inner primary to oil the chain I can use and adjust the chain oiler looking for advice on what fitting to attach to my inner primary to use and attach the chain oiler to
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: primary chain oiler

Post by 58flh »

I have found copper to work pretty good When soldered-(TO ABSOLUTELY CLEAN SURFACES)./On Mine I have it tee/off & I bend it to drip right on the tranny sprocket.I add 3/4s of a QT. of oil every 3-400-miles.Sometimes a little more but not more then 70miles if I was to guess.I say this all the time-(If you stick your fingers in the chain chek.& it comes out dry & Dirty---That chain is no good!.IF your running both PRIMARY & DRIVE CHAINS they must be WET to the touch!/NEVER DRY & MURKY like a motormount in a car!/or your Lawnmower.You should look thru the Knowledge-base to see what guys have built & what there running!/Lots of INFO THERE!----RESPECTFULLY---RICHIE
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Isn't the primary chain lubricated by oil mist exiting the breather vent on the rear case bolt??
I understand the question, but the answer escapes me.....
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Isn't the primary chain lubricated by oil mist exiting the breather vent on the rear case bolt??
Partially, but not quite the whole story. The chain oiler on an early pump drips oil into the breather cavity where it is carried by the crankcase pressure wave to the primary chain. If the oilr does not deposit the oil into the cavity the breather carries very little oil in suspension and deposits even less on the chain.
So his question is valid.
An oil drip could be introduced in several locations. A simple way is to replace the '59 breather (rubber nipple type) with the earlier bent tube and drill a small hole and add a fitting in it located behind the primary to introduce the drip into the tube to be blown out with the crankcase exhaust air.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Thanks, Robbie. So it's because of the later oil pump?
I'm just asking, never too old to learn.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Starting in '65 H-D no longer introduced the breather into the primary case, so from then on the oiler was directed to a fitting in the inner chaincase. The breather went to the atmosphere. The pump bodies no longer have a passage going into the case. That applies to both late iron pumps as well as all aluminum pumps.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Okay, I get it, thanks. Lots of changes in '65.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”