oil breather need some help !!!!

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
jimd60491
Bikes: 1955 FLH panhead stock
1974 ironhead chopper

oil breather need some help !!!!

Post by jimd60491 »

ok i need some help here. just got my survivor panhead chopper running. and its spitting more than a mist of oil out of the breather. i dont think it sumped cause over night the oil level stays the same level and its returning while it runs. the chain oiler adjustment only has the thicker washer on it . the manual says not to remove that one. but im not running any shims i do it the same way on my other bike. its a the later style oil pump with no oil pressure adjustment just the spring and that little plug. could it be maybe the spring is wore out allowing more pressure ????
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: oil breather need some help !!!!

Post by 58flh »

OK---First if you put the gear cover on What was the breathers endplay??-Anywhere from.001 to .005-of endplay is right where it should be!/With .005 being the MAX.---If the endplay is not correct you will get what your describing.On the oilpump take the washer off-Then screw the ADJ. back in SLOWLY being careful not to NUSCLE it shut!-Just a light pressure with the screwdriver when it bottoms out on the seat./Remember this will STOP OILING the chain!--A properly adj. is (3/4 of a QT. in 4-500 miles!---They make shims of various sizes so you can ADJ. oiler accordingly.To check for breather clearence look in your MANUAL or the ones provided on this site.----RESPECTFULLY---RICHIE----I wanted to add that Check the easy things first/ Like replacing the spring olny!/As a new chekball might not seat correctly/Then you will really be cursing.Burnishing a pumps seat sucks & sometimes it wont work anyway!.There should be some misting!-But it sounds like your beyond whats normal.If a new spring dont fix it/Then I would make-sure of running clearence.---Again respectfully---Richie
jimd60491
1974 ironhead chopper

Post by jimd60491 »

yeah i was going to try the new springs first. then go from there
jimd60491
1974 ironhead chopper

Post by jimd60491 »

found out the problem . someone just put a small bolt for the chain oiler screw. so i swapped it out with the right screw fixed the oil breather problem
el rojo
Bikes: 1962 Harley

Post by el rojo »

glad I stumbled across this post! I am not familiar with the "breather or end-play or shims" as mentioned in the above posts but sounds like I should be! My 62 that I have only had for about two years or so seems to leak excessive oil after sitting for several days. Sounds like the bike should have 1 shim as standard? and then are more shims added for more chain oiling?
I live on the Big Island and the dealership here won't work on the bike due to it's age for some reason?? Don't know if that's common or not on the mainland.
The guy who runs the parts desk though has a knuckle and I told him about the problem and he said that yes it could be the spring or ball bearing that makes the seal, and that I could also tighten the screw a bit to put more pressure on the ball which I have done and it still leaks.
Since the oil bag is higher than the primary chain, I feel that the ball isn't seating or something and that it just keeps running past the ball when shut off? Someone also said that I could take out the spring and stretch it out a bit and also look to see if the ball bearing has any pits in it. I also think that I might (probably do) have a bad seal where the tranny spline comes into the primary cover as I can see a reddish color in the mess on the ground as well but that's another story all together.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

ELROHO----Sounds like you need a tranny seal on the mainshaft!.---Check your mixers oil level ,Its probably down.When they sit on the kickstand for awhile /the trany oil is leaned right to that side & the shaft is the way out.--Its an easy-fix IF YOU have been into the Tranny before.If not -just read the K-Base!-(ITS ALL IN THERE).Also I have been HEARING ALOT of good things about -SADDLEBAGRAIL--Rays SEAL that he makes inhouse!--A lot of guys that had bad drippers are dripless now.Look him up I believe the seal-nut is$50.00--US/He is in Canada.---Respectfully---RICHIE//The redish color is the usual--Its clutch matter & WATER all mixing together!--Remember IF your CHAIN is Brown or DRY to touch--It may be no-good.Olny you will know how long its ran this way.The chain should be WET to the touch with finger thru inspection hole.There designed to LEAK!-As theres a weep just for that purpose.For a Properly ADJ. chain-Oiler /You should be ADDING about 3/4s of a QT. every 4-500-Miles!.This is good oiling for both chains!--That's why you can Adj. & shim the screw properly.From what your other post said about a wrong BOLT in the pump & A lot of oil was being thrown///The chain is probably GOOD.If your concerned about leaving a oil-stain in your driveway-Just put a 10 X 10-cookie sheet or smaller under the drip!-Good to go.-----Respectfully---RICHIE
el rojo
Bikes: 1962 Harley

Post by el rojo »

Hate to sound dumb but it's been about 40 years since I had my last Pan so have forgotten a lot.
What is an oil mixer and how do you check it? What is the K-Base and how do I find it? What is a saddlebagrail seal? and where does it go and how does it work? As far as the reddish color I mentioned, I use a Harley tranny oil which is red in color so that's why I believe that some tranny oil is getting into the primary case and leaking out the weep hole.
The chain is definitely wet with oil as I believe the chain oilier seal is defective and it continues to weep into the primary case even after I am done riding.
I thought that the amount of oil going to the case was adjusted by a screw that pushes on the spring but you said something about possibly having a wrong screw? and is the flow adjusted by the shims and not the screw?
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

What is an oil mixer and how do you check it?
He is referring to your transmission using a slang term.
What is a saddlebagrail seal?
Saddlebagrail is the user name of a member here who makes a special transmission sleeve with an O-ring in it to help leakage problems. You can find him in the member list and PM him for information.
What is the K-Base and how do I find it
The K base (his shorthand term for Knowledge Base) is listed at the top of your screen. Use it to answer many of your questions which have been asked in the past.

The crankcase breather exits into the primary cover and the chain oiler merely drips oil into the breather channel where it is carried to the primary. Even with the chain oiler shut-off oil will still come out the breather tube as it is mist carried in the crankcase.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

ELROHO----Im sorry for the slang terminology.--Ill will do better for you./& RUBONE--Thanks for Explaining!----Respectfully---Richie

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”