Duo Glide Oil lines

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
fatfatboy
Bikes: '03 Fatboy
'14 Slim
'60 FLH
86 XT 350

Duo Glide Oil lines

Post by fatfatboy »

Hello all,
I'm trying to gather up and run oil lines for my '60 Duo Glide. I've searched my manuals and the Knowledge Base and have not been able to find anything that gives me a complete view so I can determine what I need and how to run them.

I know it's got to be on here somewhere. Can any of you please point me in the right direction?

Thank you, much.

Kirk
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Duo Glide Oil lines

Post by RUBONE »

Kirk,
Stock or custom lines? Stock or other oil pump?
On a stock Duo-Glide the feed connects to the bottom of the pump, the return to the middle and the vent to the fitting on the crankcase behind the rear lifter block. If running an oil filter it is in the return lines. The pictures are in the parts books. The routing is self explanatory as they only line up one way.
If Custom a pic of what you have would be best.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

I haven't got a shot of a 60 but the close-up below may help. It shows a 1961 prototype with oil filter and it's from forum member Chris Haynes' collection of factory photos.
Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fatfatboy
'14 Slim
'60 FLH
86 XT 350

Post by fatfatboy »

Thank you Gentlemen. That helps tremendously. I do appreciate the help. Thanks also for the tip on the parts book. I couldn't find oil bag/line for a horseshoe or the lines but I did find some stuff that will help me on other items.

I'm running stock oil pump with an external oil filter.
My heads are STD with shovel valves and intake. There is one inlet per head for an overhead oil feed line (see picture below). Can you please tell me where that line is to be fed from? According to my book the 1963 and later had this.
62182cb27b4d4db16d5fa30977fdc997.jpg

With the basket of parts at my purchase of the bike I received a roll of stainless steel oil line. I notice a lot of panheads have hard lines. Which is a better line to use?

Many thanks.

Kirk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

'63 to '65 cases have specific passages and fittings to get the oil to the heads. If using '63 type heads on any other engine the feed is custom. It can come from the cam cover, the tappet screen hole, the oil pressure gauge fitting hole, etc., the choice is yours.
All stock Panheads had rigid steel lines. The stainless lines are aftermarket custom parts. Either will work, it merely depends on the amount of authenticity you are after...
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

fatfatboy,
I'm not a true "purista", so I don't have a problem with running custom parts, but, . . . if you want to achieve a nice clean look to your pan, you can't go wrong with a set of oem style hard lines, just the way it came from the factory. You'll have a minimum of fittings and no cobbled-up shit to cause problems. That roll of stainless line that you've got might be tempting, but it takes some very specific tools to bend a set of custom lines, especially stainless.

Geo.
utahrpm
Bikes: '64 DuoGlide

Post by utahrpm »

Since we're on the subject, what is the correct finish for the stock oil lines. Mine were painted silver when I purchased the bike (it's a1964) and the paint is coming off and looks terrible. Thanks.
fatfatboy
'14 Slim
'60 FLH
86 XT 350

Post by fatfatboy »

Thanks again guys. I found a "Y" kit that is made for what I need. Says its made for STD heads and the timer cover needs to be drilled. Comes with several adaptors that look like there for universal/custom fitment.

I do prefer the look of the hard lines vs the braided lines so since I'd have to get connectors and cobble something together I'll probably go with hard lines. Wouldn't mind bending my own just for fun.

Utahrpm,,, From what I've seen of replica lines they are Cad plated.

Kirk
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

You can purchase long lengths of 3/8 brake line tubing and bend your own. The tough part is the compression fittings. Odd taper and specific nuts.
utahrpm
Bikes: '64 DuoGlide

Post by utahrpm »

fatfatboy wrote:Thanks again guys. I found a "Y" kit that is made for what I need. Says its made for STD heads and the timer cover needs to be drilled. Comes with several adaptors that look like there for universal/custom fitment.

I do prefer the look of the hard lines vs the braided lines so since I'd have to get connectors and cobble something together I'll probably go with hard lines. Wouldn't mind bending my own just for fun.

Kirk
Kirk, thanks for the cad info. Of course, good luck getting anyone to do that anymore.
old.wrench

Post by old.wrench »

Kirk[/quote]

Kirk, thanks for the cad info. Of course, good luck getting anyone to do that anymore.[/quote]

Pre-made cad plated replacement oil line assemblies are readily available, in fact, we have a local outfit that makes them. Cad plated replacement oil line fittings are readily available, we have a local company that makes those too :) . The only thing that I haven't found readily available is bulk cad plated 3/8" tubing. As Robbie mentioned you can purchase tubing from the auto parts store. I've used that stuff in the past myself. I got 3/8" gas line which comes in straight sections, not a coil. The only problem is that instead of cad plating, the lines are plated with a slightly different colored coating. It's not galvanized, I believe it's it's either zinc or possibly terne plating, neither of which are a really accurate color match for cad. If the color match isn't a problem for you, it works great. However, if you need to get anything cad plated, check with the plating companies in your area. We've got a couple of local companies that do cad plating here, it's really no big deal and it's not nearly as expensive as chrome.

Geo.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

I have the nuts but your real bitch is going to be the flare. It's 29 degrees and proprietary to HD. Bob L
old.wrench

Post by old.wrench »

This tool will do the proper job on the flares -
80660c7967e28bf3e2080d2227ff1a3b.jpg
To give you a better idea of the flare angle -

1d9c881f4e490c4c4fa257223bbd2e49.jpg
It's pretty tough to get the bend in the correct place on the vent and return line connections at the oil tank unless you've got a proper tool for it. Most tube bending tools can't make the bend close enough to the flared end.

Geo.
fatfatboy
'14 Slim
'60 FLH
86 XT 350

Post by fatfatboy »

After some searching the net and reading of your alls post I realized my flare tool would not make the proper so I'm taking the easy way out and just purchasing the lines.
I was able to get them in Cad plated except for the Y. I needed the whole kit with fittings and could only find it in chrome.
The site states that I have to drill the timer cover. Yikes! I hope it will reach to the oil pressure fitting hole.

Kirk
old.wrench

Post by old.wrench »

fatfatboy,

Did you check to see if Corso has the "Y" line in cad? He's the local manufacturer that I was speaking of, he should have something that will meet your needs with a cad finish. Good Luck.

Geo.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”