67-72 oil pump on a 63 pan

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
badran33
Bikes: 68 early shovel

67-72 oil pump on a 63 pan

Post by badran33 »

Hello all,
i have a 63 panhead engine which I would like to put an early oil pumps ('67-'72) (thanks Rubone for your suggestion) that i have.
Looking better to the right case of my 63 panhead engine case i've noticed that the two holes ( n.1 in the photo ) were plugged and that the new oil pump gasket (White one) would cover the hole number 2;
Do you think i should care about this. or can i go on (..?
thanks
G.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: 67-72 oil pump on a 63 pan

Post by 58flh »

If that is a 63 GASKET/Then you should use the correct pump!--However You can Modify the pump by Blocking what shouldnt be there with a allen tapped into the pump.I also know you can drill into a passage for the pump to work properly on the FEED.RETURN & scavenge oil.I personaly would have to look at the explode-view in the manual to see if the pump you have can be made to work.You will get a MORE thourugh answer from -Members that have been modifien these forever!/I always natch the pump to OEM gasket & see if everything is lined-up.If not Ill see if the pump can be modified to work!---You maybe able to make the one on the pic. work!---However Im not totally sure----If the pump is a 67--72 as RUBONE pointed out,-Then its a direct bolt-on & I think you NEED the Correct gasket.----Respectfully---RICHIE
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The hole that is covered is for the chain oiler. On a '67 up pump the chain oiler is external and not within the case as earlier types are. If the hole is opened to the pump there is no metering on the flow of oil to the oiler, so ideally the external oiler is used which is metered. The earlier pumps meter it before it goes into that hole.
badran33
Bikes: 68 early shovel

Post by badran33 »

thanks guys for the answers.

so i can assume that the holes in the case (the number 1 in the photo) has been previously tapered precisely for using a newer oil pump just the one i wanna use.... :wink:

thanks

G.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”