oil pressure

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
6hds
Bikes: 2012flhtc,1979fxef,1977flh,1960flh,1971Hodaka100B+,1972 HD SS350 Sprint 67 T120R, 67 A65L

oil pressure

Post by 6hds »

Having aquired a 1960 FLH and in the process of diagnosis I see that warmed up, at idle it has about zero psi. At 2000 about 5-7psi. It has a solid lifter kit in it. I read on this site that doing this without blocking the oil feed to the tappet blocks will do this. I learned this here after taking the motor apart. The pump looks in good shape othe than 2 little grooves on th scavange side. The bike also wet sumps reliably. Question, best way to solve the sumping? If I get a new pump what is the procedure to replace the pump shaft bushing? I'm figuring if you put on a new pump the bushing should be replaced too. Unrelated issue is the rod side play at the wrist pin is approaching the 3/32 max as the shop manual points out. I'm thinking its not a concern for many miles. Thanks, Gary (new member, new to panheads, but have a couple alt. shovels)
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Re: oil pressure

Post by 1951 adam »

Gary, as always check return to tank. Good flow is good flow, don't need or want a lot of pressure. Check pressure with a good gauge , I use a snap on . The bushing is no big deal to change, measure the Fitment with a hole gauge and check shaft OD, might be OK. The bushing is used up through evos ,
Adam
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

6hds---As ADAM pointed out -(its all about FLOW!)--0-pressure iS GOOD!--As long as theres FLOW back to the TANK!.--About your SUMPING ISSUE!---THERES ALOT about this on the K-BASE!--IF you ride everyday & still sump upon fire-up!--Theres a problem!--It has been known that bikes that sit for a month SUMP!--BUT if your sumping is more then NORMAL!--(I have fixed a few this way)--Get a new checkball & spring --Then shine a light in the hole where the ball would sit on its seat!, IF its pitted bad YOU MAY HAVE TO BURNISH THE SEAT--Im not going into it as its lenghthy & in the K-BASE!.However if the seat is not pitted --sometimes just the new spring is enuff to stop sumping!--I usually put the checkball in & HIT it LIGHTLY with a hammer while its on its seat!--You will need a proper drift to reach in there. BUT TAPPING it on the seat just might work on it sealing along with new SPRING!.---RESPECTFULLY---RICHIE
6hds
Bikes: 2012flhtc,1979fxef,1977flh,1960flh,1971Hodaka100B+,1972 HD SS350 Sprint 67 T120R, 67 A65L

Post by 6hds »

Thanks to Adam and Richie for the response. I'm going to try the burnishing on the pump. Should have stayed with troubleshooting longer but it was leaking oil everywhere so much i was wondering if it was put together without any gaskets. Gary

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”