Oil filter canister leak

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
ridermike
Bikes: 1960 FLF
1942 WLA
1998 FLHTC
2000 Custom

Oil filter canister leak

Post by ridermike »

Can anyone sugest any tips on a leaking external oil filter canister. Always the bottom seal.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

ridermike
We talked about this issue in the fourm I , quite a bit ago, look up old posts. I use new gaskets every time I change my filter and it hasn't leaked at all since changing a few things . I think mbskeam , came up with a sealing washer for that bottom that works , if you find the thread ,I think there are photos , I think he got the washers at Home depot , I use two banjo bolt washers ( the ones with the rubber seals in the middle, 10 mm ,I think ) for the top mounting stud , where it goes thru the top filter body, the copper ones kept leaking on me too. If your washer on the bottom is not concave it wont seal for long . I will look and see if I can find the thread on it , it doesn't seem to be in the knowlege base.

Found the thread in Fourm I , under general, page # 5
ridermike
Bikes: 1960 FLF
1942 WLA
1998 FLHTC
2000 Custom

Post by ridermike »

Thanks Fourthgear
I'll take a look now!
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

i've found a couple of things that work.

one is a an evoloution rocker box bolt washer. the one with the gasket that is built in to the bottom of the washer.

the other is a O ring from ace hardware that just fits over the internal rod and is backed up by a thick washer.

if you experiment a little you can get it to quit dripping.

john
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

I bought a gasket cutter kit from Harbor Freight. I then bought a couple od small sheets of Viton gasket material from a gasket supply shop that you can find on the industrial sides of towns. I cut my own Viton gaskets for the oil can on the bike and the oil can on my old Chevy. No more leaks, and viton has good oil & temperature properties.
Doug

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”