Lockhart Cooler for 1965 FLH Pan?

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
azpaul50
Bikes: *

Lockhart Cooler for 1965 FLH Pan?

Post by azpaul50 »

The '65 is still enroute from Indiana. It first went to Columbus Ohio where it sat for several days and it's now in Dallas waiting for a load heading west. It has been 90F degrees plus these past few days here and I was thinking that a sidecar would add to engine wear (and heat) because of the additional drag. I don't have a cooler on the '63 but usually don't usually ride May - September due to our heat anyway. Anyone have a model number for the proper Lockhart circa 1965?? I saw one on an ebay '65 a few months ago but didn't save the picture. They seem fairly unchanged but I really don't know specifically which one to look for. I have a hanging bracket but no cooler! Cotton! John! Rod! I'm sure one of you has dozens of clean or new ones in your stash! Right?? - AZP (Stumbling around as usual)
VPH-D

Re: Lockhart Cooler for 1965 FLH Pan?

Post by VPH-D »

The factory did not offer an oil cooler as an accessory until 1977. I think they on Low Riders that year too, whether you need one or not is up to you. We did fine without them for decades...
VPH-D
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

Ahah! There's one up for sale with applicability starting in 1977. I did notice none of the oldest bikes seemed to bother but doncha think the sidecar would heat the motor up? Remember that I'm talking southern Arizona for context. Oh-oh... now I have a bracket and don't need a cooler? Second opinion, anyone? oh, will be needing "Draft Card Burners go to.... sticker for the tourpack! "Period correct, eh?" - AZP
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Use the V shaped bracket to mount the cooler if you do decide to use one. It raises the cooler up higher for more clearance for an FL fender to avoid the dreaded fender dent. There was a naugahide cover available to use when the weather cools off, if it ever does in AZ.
VPH-D
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

As was said,no cooleruntil later years!--The Lockhart are the best in my opinion!---The core is heavy & not tissue-paper also they have a stat inside that opens at 150/degrees Then the oil flows thru all 3-cores.--- There around 7-8-inches long & 4-inches high & the feed & out is marked on the nipples!--I run this on my ol-Ladies shortster--Never a problem & the bolt-up holes on top are drilled thru a Hefty piece of steel probably .080 that's powder coated black!--I believe I paid $80 way back .It came with 4-stainless-clamps & 6-ft. of hose.---Richie
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Paul!

The Midwest is capable of heat waves, and I tried an auto transmission cooler, then dual transmission coolers, then a Lockhart, then the Lockhart with a thermostat.

I consider it all silly now.

....Cotten
blewcrab
Bikes: 65FL and 2003 heritage

Post by blewcrab »

I lowered the temp on my pan by adding an oil filter...extra 1/2 pint of oil ,and hanging out to the side,,,every little bit helps..
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Cotten wrote:Paul!

The Midwest is capable of heat waves, and I tried an auto transmission cooler, then dual transmission coolers, then a Lockhart, then the Lockhart with a thermostat.

I consider it all silly now.

....Cotten

Why do you consider it silly now?---That particular cooler worked GREAT at 90,degree summer days & rolling down the pike/-Then stop for a bridge-opening to let a sailboat thru!--It kept the oil at 190 to 210!--The rise to 210 was the sitting & waiting for the bridge!--Before that The shortster ran hotter!--my temp-gage read 200+ & 230 can come-up fast! if waiting at a light or whatever.I never needed one on my big-twins!--But they do have there place!-& when ya need one you will know you need one! :!: .Respecfuly---RICHIE
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

azpaul50, I see you live in Yuma. I know what the summers can be like there, and if I lived there and was dragging a sidecar around, I'd sure be tempted to run an oil cooler. Especially since Harley offered the cooler as an accessory, or perhaps an 'option' in 1977. My '77FLH had a Lockhart cooler on it from the beginning, I always thought it came from the factory that way. Years later when I 'customized' the motorcycle, I kept the cooler and added an in-line thermostat.
But like a radiator, they need a little air flowing through them to be effective. If you're just stopped at a drawbridge, an oil cooler won't function anyway.
So the key is to keep moving so air is flowing.......... with or without a cooler.

Incidentally, a few years ago I saw a new NOS Lockhart oil cooler on eBay. Nobody was interested, so I picked it up as a spare for my '77. Like an oil cooler is a high-wear item...! Ha..! But they're out there, as you've seen.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Richie!

It was silly because it was a lot of effort for nothing.

A heat exchanger after the motor only cools the oil tank (while adding resistance to the return pump.)

You want warm oil in the tank, so it will flow freely. A motor isn't warmed up until it does. An un-regulated cooler extends the wear-prone warm-up period.

At a Pan's limited pump volumes, you can't put cold oil in fast enough to affect the motor, nor pump out fast enough to make a difference.
Four-fifths (or more) of the motor's cooling comes from airflow over it.
The remaining fifth depends upon oil is deep in the motor at friction points, where the mass of the motor has already warmed the flow further, no matter how hot it already was in the tank.
It's hard to cool the oil while its in the motor.

For severe duty, I suggest a parade fan.

....Cotten
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

Awww, mannnnn... I just got my "Cotton" tattoo and now everyone has different opinions! Let me change the proposition around. I croak and Blondie is selling the '65 with sidecar out of here. If you were a prospective buyer knowing about Yuma, wouldn't the fact that the bike had a cooler be a plus point? A cooler couldn't hurt it, right unless we had snow which hasn't ever happened here? I'd wait until one that was new came up although I suppose you could clean an old one inside like that used model 500 now on eBay. I'd prefer chrome, of course! lolololol I really try to be "correct" but would never get to AMCA standard anyway. Not enough time and money left. Many of you know I have a collection of many different things. Darn vintage panhead parts are wayyyy expensive compared even to old Corvette stuff. So, I might turn the bracket upsidedown so the two mount holes are above the center crash bar bolt? It'll fit that way? Oh, the hack is now past Dallas, going to Eskota, TX. I believe the city is putting together a welcome ceremony! NO? Don't tell me. - AZP Hmmmm... that one gentleman got buried on his shovel. Awww man.... I'd need two plots and who would be in the sidecar? Blondie sure won't do it! Man.... this vintage motorcycle game is complex business!
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

azpaul50 wrote:Awww, mannnnn... I just got my "Cotton" tattoo ..............
That's a bummer, because you spelled it wrong.
azpaul50 wrote: ..... A cooler couldn't hurt it, right ....................?
I personally am of the opinion that it can't hurt-- provided you run a thermostat which will divert the oil from the cooler until it is properly warmed up.
Something like this.....................

Cotten

Post by Cotten »

azpaul50 wrote:Awww, mannnnn... I just got my "Cotton" tattoo and now everyone has different opinions!

Be glad it is miss-spelled, Paul!
It might keep the wankers off your arse.
(Doh! It looks like I'm wrong already....)
azpaul50 wrote:Let me change the proposition around. I croak and Blondie is selling the '65 with sidecar out of here. If you were a prospective buyer knowing about Yuma, wouldn't the fact that the bike had a cooler be a plus point?

You expect it to stay in Yuma, Paul?
Serious money wants "correct", and would toss it in half a heartbeat.
It would be luck if they overlooked it.

Rude but true,

....Cotten
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

Cotton - Hey, brah! It depends on what time of the year I croak. About 80,000 winter visitors are here from October - April. In fact, there must be a record number of them on trikes and on geezer glides this year. It's dangerous out there! I've never seen so many and they got the bucks! When I ride my raggy '63 and go into a store, I find the bike surrounded by bunches of them (in brand new H-D or Honda leathers) who want to buy it even though they have no idea what they're looking at. Just say "panhead" and they lower their heads reverently! July is quite a different matter. By the way, I'm the economist who follows their spending and provides economic data to bunches of organizations for pay. That's why I seem to always be on the computer. By the way, I just got an almost complete set of OEM white rubbers while writing this. Liberace's bike, here I come! Shhhh, Blondie doesn't need to know! See http://www.yumastats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if you're a glutton for statistical punishment about Yuma and our beloved visitors. I believe in accurately describing anything I sell (after being burned a time or two) so I wouldn't try to pass it off as "original" but also realize that the bike has inherent value even with a mixture of repops and original. I got this bike specifically because I could verify recent rebuild of the motor and tranny. If had malfeasance in mind, I wouldn't talk openly here, would I? As you know from personal conversation, I am not shooting for a 100% bike nor have the skills or knowledge to do one. All I got is Palmer and you great but sometimes cantankerous guys! We should be sitting around and talking at the barber shop! It has to look and ride like back in the day... Linkert and all! lololol **groan** Of course I need a thermostat but do I need a 55 gallon version???! Been missing ya' brah and all youze huys! - AZP
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

Finally got that cooler on there but without a bypass valve. That wouldn't be hard to add later. I got it on just in time for this weekend with 90F+ temps. I inverted the V bracket to get it as high as I could. Here's the pic and thanks for all the advice! - AZP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”