Oil drains out when long time parking

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
dmontero
Bikes: hydra glide 1951

Oil drains out when long time parking

Post by dmontero »

Hello everybody, I got a problem with my recently rebuilt 51 pan that when I keep it still on the garage for time longer than 1 week the oil beguines to drain off the primary case at the right side of the motorcycle, is I leave the motorcycle for long time enough all the oil drains out of the motorcycle. I have change the original oil pump for a replica that I bought. I'm using 20 W 50 oil mineral oil on it. Where I live the ambient temperature keeps about 60 °F.
Have someone any Idea what is happening on my bike? How can I solve it?

Thank you very much for your help.

David
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Oil drains out when long time parking

Post by RUBONE »

David,
you bike has a condition called 'sumping". The subject has been talked to death over the last few years and months. Do a search on this site and all the old discussions are available to you. Too much to cover here.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

David!

As you search the Knowledge Base,
Please ignore my postings that suggest "burnishing".
I have since been compelled to warn against the practice (except under very controlled conditions).

I was wrong.

....Cotten
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

When you say all the oils, does that include the transmission ,? Is it pouring out after you start it after sitting? or just collecting when on jiffystand?
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Hope you mean the primary on the left side. The gear case is on the right and that would be another problem all together. When oil gets past the check ball in the oil pump it fills up the engine case & eventually dumps into the primary through the breather. Probably really dumps when you kick it over, because its being picked up & forced out then. Even a new replica oil pump is not immune to sumping. One other thing is I would recommend not using the multi weight oil. If you're in a very cold area use straight 50 wt. most other areas use straight 60 wt. & if you're in a really hot area like Ariz. or the high desert or north Ca. or the islands. I'd even go with 70 wt. in the Summer.
HDChevroletUSA
Bikes: 60 FL Dual-Glide
79 FLH Electra Glide
80 FLHC Electra Glide Classic
03 FXD Super Glide

Post by HDChevroletUSA »

I can only ride my 60 for 2 weeks a year, when I'm on vacation in NY. When I got there this year, the oil drained out so much that nothing read on the dipstick. I wanted to try an idea, but want some feedback first.
Can I disconnect the oil line from the oil tank, and get a plastic plug from Loews to prevent the oil sumping problem?
When I return the next year, I can just remove the plug, and reconnect the oil line.
Do you think that will work? Thanks.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Why don't you simply drain the oil when you're going to be away for a long time?
Save it to a container you can cap, then pour it back in the tank when you're ready to ride again.
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

Yes, you can do as you suggested or you can follow Biginchers advice, or you can try to fix it using some of the info in the knowledge base.

The real question is, can you remember you put a plug in the feed line when it comes time to start the bike.
dmontero

Post by dmontero »

1951 adam wrote:When you say all the oils, does that include the transmission ,? Is it pouring out after you start it after sitting? or just collecting when on jiffystand?
Is Just the oil from the engine, not the one on the transmission. It starts pouring out when long time on the jiffystand and when I kick it and the engine starts, the oil is spited out from the oiler, yesterday I tried to completely close the oiler screw to prevent the oil coming out the engine with no success.

Thank you.
Last edited by dmontero on Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmontero

Post by dmontero »

Hauula Pan wrote:Hope you mean the primary on the left side. The gear case is on the right and that would be another problem all together. When oil gets past the check ball in the oil pump it fills up the engine case & eventually dumps into the primary through the breather. Probably really dumps when you kick it over, because its being picked up & forced out then. Even a new replica oil pump is not immune to sumping. One other thing is I would recommend not using the multi weight oil. If you're in a very cold area use straight 50 wt. most other areas use straight 60 wt. & if you're in a really hot area like Ariz. or the high desert or north Ca. or the islands. I'd even go with 70 wt. in the Summer.
Thank you for your answer, yes I mean the left side. I I was thinking on using a straight 50wt in order to solve this problem because as I understand the size of the particles of the 50Wt oil should be bigger than the 20W50 when the engine is cold. Could this change make any difference regarding this problem?

Thank you,

DAVID

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”