Oil Pump Question?

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
panhog
Bikes: 1964 Pan

Oil Pump Question?

Post by panhog »

I bought a oil pump from ebay. It is missing the plug from the hole next to the relief valve on top of the pump. To plug the hole can I just machine a piece of cold roll to a .002" interference fit and press it into the counter bore of the hole? What is the purpose of that hole anyway?
As a added point of interest. The oil pump on my "64 was never drilled and tapped for a chain oiler adjustment screw at the factory. Thanks.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Oil Pump Question?

Post by Cotten »

Panhog!

Your instincts are good.

The plug is known as a "Welch plug", and just a thin disc, slightly dished, so that when it is installed, a punch from the top will expand it into place.
They were normally die-cut from common sheet steel, usually with a mark stamped on the convex side.

They used to be common at any auto supply,
although if your casting has suffered even slightly,
you are best to cut your own.

Can you see a T-shaped 'swinging' piece of steel with a couple of holes in it, presumeably a "bubble buster"?

....Cotten
panhog

Post by panhog »

Cotten wrote:Panhog!

Can you see a T-shaped 'swinging' piece of steel with a couple of holes in it, presumeably a "bubble buster"?

....Cotten
I know not what you speak of, T. Cotten. Thanks.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

PANHOG---You can still get welchplugs at your local autosuppl store!. They come in va plastic-box with various siz w-plugs in it!--I believe the one you need to fit the pumphousing has 14-w/plugs in it!-(2 of each size).For about $4.00!,When installing make-sure bore is clean & a drop of blue loc-tite on the plug-then smear it around with a clean-end of a match. DONT use more then 1-DROP!---now start it in the hole & use a drift that bigger in DIA. of the plug or a piece of hardwood & tap-it into the hole until flush on top. thats it!-DONE.---To remove -simply frill a hole in center of plug & use a 90 degree hardened pick about 1/8 in DIA. & PRY it out!.----Good-LUCK----RICHIE 8) oh yea the hole on the left has the spring and ball in it, its threaded for the straight-slot screw that holds the works in.--the one next to it /right-side of it is an access to the by-pass valve-plug, which has a by-pass spring and plunger. however this is located on the side of pump. but the plug can go on top, as this is the same port in the casting on,somebody will correct me if im wrong but from 1952 to 1967.----richie
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Panhog!

It is impossible to show without removal,
but here you can see a thin piece of metal exposed when the welchplug is missing upon a late-Knuck-early-Pan pump.
BBLBUSTR.jpg
It hangs in two notches.
Bubble-busting is the only notion that I can come up with.
With modern anti-foaming oils, it may not be critical.

None of the handfull of pump bodies that I have handy show any stamping,
(beyond over-dimpling inward),
and once again I am wrong that manufacture's marks are on the convex side,
as DORMAN stamped it where it would be hidden.
WLCHPLGS.jpg
A nominal 9/16" plug should fit, and it seems I need some myself.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panhog

Post by panhog »

My pump body does not have that little tang. However the hole is drilled and tapped at an angle. :?: But. The counter bore is nice and flat. I made my own disk at work that I am going to plug the hole with. Thanks.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”