Puking Pan

Lubrication System (oil feed pump and scavenger pump, reservoir, filter, and lines)
FLSpike

Puking Pan

Post by FLSpike »

When my 50 Pan FL sits for more than a day, oil drains back into the cases and then pukes it out the chain oiler when I start it. Brand new S&S oil pump, inspected the check ball - looks good. I know that it is supposed to puke some oil out to oil the chain, but not a Quart. Running belt now not chain. What is causing this & how can I make it stop ???
VT

Post by VT »

Still sounds like the check ball's not seating. Not that it's part of the problem, but by which method did you stop the oil flow to the primary chain?
Oil sumping to the crankcase can happen when the motor sits unridden for awhile. You start it up with a tub under the primary to catch the quart. But, sumping doesn't happen all the time, and in such a short amount of time.
Last edited by VT on Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

flspike
Yes , are you talking about oil coming from the chain oiler or the breather ? If you have a belt drive primary , where did you run the breather line ?
mogman
Inactive member

Post by mogman »

That brings up a question for me,, My 58 does the same thing only it takes about two weeks to go down about 1/4" to 1/2" in the tank, if I ignore it for a month or more I have to drain the crankcase.
Question: what tool is used to recondition the seat?? I have replaced the ball and spring.
vintage twin

Post by vintage twin »

I don't think there is a reliable seat dressing tool. There was talk of a burnishing tool that "smeared" a seat to concentricity, but none are available commercially. You don't have to drain the crankcase though. Just remove the oil tank dipstick and start the motor. Watch the return line opening inside the tank as oil gets transferred back from the crankcase sump.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I commissioned a limited quantity of burnishers at $50 each.

If the seat has been damaged by drifting or other abuse, then it will have to be dressed before using a burnisher for the final finish.

Burnishing can produce a 100% seal.

....Cotten
mogman
Inactive member

Post by mogman »

Thanks Cotten, I will may need one, Vintage If I don't it pukes all over the floor the first time I rotate the engine.

Return to “Lubrication System/Oil pump/Oil filter”